hawkdriver

351W build recommendation.

Hey group. First I’ll start out by saying hopefully this is not too broad of a question   I just want to start seeing possible recommendations to begin to narrow things down. I will have all the time in the world to research as I’m currently deployed and planning a build.

69 coupe 351w pretty stock. FMX TRANS.   Currently have a weiand stealth intake. Looking for a top end setup to work with my current intake.  Hoping for low to mid 400 hp. Right now just looking for heads cam carb to get me in the ballpark. Soon I’ll be researching headers and exhaust.   Figured engine was the starting point.   Want to keep cost down as much as I can as it’s still a coupe 

love to hear what you recommend 

I'm surprised no one has chimed in here. It sounds like you may have a 2V motor (two barrel carb)? Edelbrock says that with their power packages you can keep the bottom end of a 2V motor stock at 9.5:1 compression and get 400 hp- or more. There are a couple of kits that include heads, intake and cam. They certainly aren't cheap, but its guaranteed bolt-on horsepower with no guesswork because its been dynoed and it all works together. The 4v (four barrel) motors have higher compression and I would talk to them about piston-to-valve clearance.