TexasEd

What is the"Vision" for your car?

I work in the tech industry and while Vision Statements are not exclusive to the tech industry we use them frequently.  The concept is to share aspirations, goals, or outcomes for a project.  It gives people a sense that what they are working on is aligned with the goals.  So if you dropped your car off at a shop and shared your vision they would be able to make decisions faster knowing what works and doesn't work for your vision.

I have had a vision but never took the time to write it down until now.  It could still be tweaked but I doubt it changes a lot.

"A car that looks period correct for 1969 but might have subtle improvements for performance, reliability, or comfort."

Examples of things I have done that fit this vision:

• UCA drop and mild suspension mods
  • Pertronix ignition under the distributor cap
  • Switched from 14" wheels with hub caps to 15" Magnum 500
  • Installed a hidden relay for headlight wiring
  • Restored and reinstalled the original valve covers (painted everything blue)
  • Period correct Disc Brake conversion

Plans that continue the vision:

• Upgrade original AM radio guts to a digital radio with Bluetooth
  • Upgrade dealer installed AC system with modern R134a components but keep the cabin the same
  • Upgrade original seats with TMI Sport II foam and covers that have the original look but larger bolsters
  • Upgrade to aluminum radiator but paint it black and use original fan and a shroud
  • Transmission and other drive-train upgrades not visible
  • Paint it the original color but take off the script Mustang on the fenders
  • LED dash lights in original colors or LED brake and marker lights (Draw the line at LED headlights, they don't look period correct)

Does anyone else have a vision for their car? Please share.  Some might be easy like Concours or Modern car with a classic body.  Some might be a lot more difficult.

With my 69 Coupe I am going the restomod route. I have performed the Arning/Shelby UCA drop, rebuilt the complete front suspension using period correct looking parts that have been modified including a roller idler arm for the manual steering, 1" lowering front coil springs, 1" lowering 4.5 mid eye rear leaf springs, adjustable strut rods, 68/69 Mustang GT wheels, Mach-1 hood scoop, front & rear spoilers, & Shelby convertible lower side scoops. It has a modified 5.0 roller motor, T-5 5 speed, hydraulic clutch, dual electric cooling fans, front disc brake conversion a period correct looking AM/FM stereo with modified internals to be able to play my MP-3 player through it, Dakota Digital VHX gauges, sub frame connectors, Monte Carlo bar, export brace, rear seat to trunk divider panel, & a complete rewire using AAW wiring kit. My Coupe was originally painted meadowlark yellow, I will have it painted chrome yellow still keeping it in the yellow family, &  still trying to decide if I want to go EFI or just put a carb on it.

17 hours ago, RPM said:

My issue has been an ever changing vision. 

Yes, that will slow you down.   The whole reason I asked the question.  I need to figure out my vision and see if it resonates and maybe it helps another wandering soul.  :)

On 7/21/2020 at 4:54 PM, TexasEd said:

"A car that looks period correct for 1969 but might have subtle improvements for performance, reliability, or comfort."

That's very close to mine. Back when I started out a long time ago, I thought I'd keep it all original. Even bought some bias ply tires. Then I figured a plain-jane  F-code was boring, so I went with some period correct mods - stuff you could have done back in the early 70's. I had a set of vintage Ansen Sprints, an Edelbrock F4-B intake,  and even a vintage Holley 600. 

Then I added some invisible modern stuff - Pertronix and headlight relays, LEDs for all the interior and dash lights. Mini-starter. Used a retro roller cam just to up the cost of the engine rebuild :)

Now that I've driven it for a few years, disk brakes and a T5 on are on the list to make it more fun on the road.

Never used the bias ply tires. They're dry rotting away in my shop with, like, 100 miles wear on them :)

On 7/23/2020 at 9:14 PM, Brian Conway said:

My vision ?  Running in the mid 8's in the 8th mile.   Not impossible or unrealistic but probably unlikely.  Brian 

Racing April 2010.jpg

That's a cool pic Brian. Ya know, I've read your very knowledgeable posts for years and still never pictured you on a drag strip. (Head-slap) dude's got a 428! 

1 hour ago, 69RavenConv said:

That's a cool pic Brian. Ya know, I've read your very knowledgeable posts for years and still never pictured you on a drag strip. (Head-slap) dude's got a 428! 

Ya, no kidding. And an R code to boot. I figured Brian was 15-20 years younger than me at 64. Yikes, just looked at his DOB :)  You must have a young soul Brian. 

Kinda got away from TexasEd's topic so let me explain ?  Just like you guys I have spent plenty of time and money getting my car back into original condition.  In my case ' the vision ' was to get it back into original 428 SCJ condition.  First I had to get it running.  Sound familiar ?  So got it running sorta alright and turned my attention to the other things.  Body and paint were good when I got the car in 2009.  Interior needed carpet and upholstery and some other odds and ends.  Suspension needed a little help as well. That accomplished it was back to the drive train.  My OE heads came with a solid lifter valve train and the SCJ rotating assembly was gone but a CJ assembly was in it's place.  I elected to leave that stuff for another day.  I have re-built or replaced just about everything else.  Clutch was a bit of a dilemma but finally got a stock 11.5" to perform as intended.  Trans has been the rock in this project.  Not needing anything.  Rebuilt the stock shifter with help and parts from Bill Heeley.  Randy Gillis put together the correct 4.30 rear end for me.  So with a car like this the ' the vision ' is getting down the quarter mile with a good time and without breaking.   Brian

Hey TexasEd, 

I like your overall vision statement as mine is very similar with a bit of a lean towards the Pro-touring/Restomod vehicle.  I wanted more modern drive and conveniences of a modern car, but had to keep the original body with some slight changes that don't stand out drastically, but to make it slightly different.   

A quick list of modern conveniences: 

Vintage Air AC

Unisteer Power Steering

Cobra Disc Brake upgrade

FiTech FI

TKO600 Transmission with Hydraulic Clutch Setup 

Upgraded Radio with Kicker Components 

Street or Track Upgrades Suspension 

TMI Covered Foxbodies in Mach 1 Upholstery 

3 Point Front Seat belts

LED tail lights and Halogen Headlights 

Body Changes: 
Removed 1/4 Panel Emblems

Removed Trunk Letters 

Removed Rear Wing/Still need to add Front Spoiler 

Paint Whole Hood and Cowl Flat Black 

Paint Tail Panel Flat Black 

Painted on Side Stripe with Body Color Showing through for striping and MACH 1 lettering 

17/18in Bullitt Wheel Combo 

IMG_6419 (1).jpg

Pro touring is the look I'm going for.

69-70 coupes always go to the poormans 302/429 boss look. I wanted to be different, wanted to add a bit of mordern ford OE Parts and color. Inspiration came from the cali special, new edge fr500 concept and the termy 03-04 cobra. Silver and Black wheels look so good!

just a summary of what I went with:

• 393w stroker (dyno 360 RWHP, 400RWTQ)
  • TKO600 kit from MDL
  • Street or Track Front Coil over suspension w/ Bilstein Sport Shocks
  • 4.5 Mid eye Grab-a-Track Leaf springs w/Bilstein Sport shocks
  • Vintage Venom (RIP) 03-04 Cobra front and rear brake kit
  • Ford 9 TruTrac w/3:50's
  • Dakota RTX Gauges (still getting used to this, but so far its great!)
  • Vintage Venom front and rear 03-04 cobra brake kit
  • 18x9/10 FR500's from americanmuscle.com
  • 245/275x40x18 BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2 Summer Tires
  • Ford Ingot Silver, Paint Code UX

IMG_3961.JPG

“A street car that reflects the classic 70’s Transam race cars - a compromise of factory appearance, power vs liveability”

To that end

1970 Mach 1 M code

Engine 408c with original but refreshed 4V’s. Aim is to look stock but have 450+

Shaker - bought a Scott Cook intake so I can run it

Close ratio toploader

3.25 LSD

Classic or Vintage Air

Stock interior but added factory tach dash and sports deck rear seat, LED dash lights

Running gear

Shelby UCA drop

QA1 shocks

lowered as much as I can bare - @ 2”

Stock exterior

Still unsettled on colour either back to Wimbledon white (original) or change to Calypso Coral as I really like orange as a colour

Got the wheels

Transam Race Engineering Minilites 17x8 and 17x9.5 with 245/45 and 275/40’s

Thats about it.  The aim remains tough Road car - I want to drive it around the country a fair bit 

SM69Mach, you sure have a purdy car.

Here is mine

What’s been done:

• frame off resto
  • new interior
  • 16x8 Vintage Wheel works V45s 
  • 4 wheel wilwood disk brakes with a MPB booster
  • rebuilt engine with roller cam and ported Eddy RPM Performers and Air Gap (360 hp at the wheels)
  • Magnaflow 2.5” exhaust with X pipe
  • rebuilt C6 tranny with performance parts, “rollerized” needle bearings where possible, upgraded clutches, etc 
  • TCP manual rack and pinion
  • Complete Global West Cat. 5 suspension
  • Holly 4bbl carb that was sent to Jet Performance for a stage 3 conversion
  • Reen Machine Halogen lights
  • billet front grill
  • currie 9” rear
  • 3.73 gears
  • detroit locker

What’s to come next

• EPAS electric power steering
  • ABS electric power brakes
  • 408 stroker 
  • Digital guarddawg push button starter

8F4A495C-05CF-4F2B-AC3D-04322127DBA6.jpeg

9D4D2F18-A666-4B75-87BE-AC257A086E4F.jpeg

D9CA2543-4688-4D63-9E34-E3C8E2AD7A9B.jpeg

On 7/28/2020 at 1:30 PM, SM69Mach said:

Hey TexasEd, 

I like your overall vision statement as mine is very similar with a bit of a lean towards the Pro-touring/Restomod vehicle.  I wanted more modern drive and conveniences of a modern car, but had to keep the original body with some slight changes that don't stand out drastically, but to make it slightly different.   

A quick list of modern conveniences: 

Vintage Air AC

Unisteer Power Steering

Cobra Disc Brake upgrade

FiTech FI

TKO600 Transmission with Hydraulic Clutch Setup 

Upgraded Radio with Kicker Components 

Street or Track Upgrades Suspension 

TMI Covered Foxbodies in Mach 1 Upholstery 

3 Point Front Seat belts

LED tail lights and Halogen Headlights 

Body Changes: 
Removed 1/4 Panel Emblems

Removed Trunk Letters 

Removed Rear Wing/Still need to add Front Spoiler 

Paint Whole Hood and Cowl Flat Black 

Paint Tail Panel Flat Black 

Painted on Side Stripe with Body Color Showing through for striping and MACH 1 lettering 

17/18in Bullitt Wheel Combo 

IMG_6419 (1).jpg

Man I've always admired your car it's so darn clean, has a great stance, it just flat out looks mean and is a beautiful example. 

16 hours ago, BigDuke6 said:

can you tell me a little bit about how you lowered your car?  

Its pretty "basic".  I am running Street Or Track coil over setup up front and adjusted to the height I liked and needed for clearance (Damn long tubes).  The rear is mid eye spring with 2 in lower blocks. Fenders were all rolled at body shop when it was in for paint to make as much room for the larger tires as possible.