smh00n

Wiper motor - rebuild or replace?

My wipers run real slow. 

Is it just a matter of pulling the motor and cleaning up?

Are there any bushes in the linkage that can be replaced or do you just buy one of the repro kits like NPD has?

44 minutes ago, smh00n said:

My wipers run real slow. 

Is it just a matter of pulling the motor and cleaning up?

Are there any bushes in the linkage that can be replaced or do you just buy one of the repro kits like NPD has?

Is it slow because of drag? Did you try lubing the shafts, bushings etc? Dirt/grime between moving parts might be your problem and you can lube them easily if you remove the whole assembly. Before I put the assembly on my last restoration, I lubed everything up and could feel the difference when moving the linkages by hand.

I have not pulled it down yet, but I suspect drag. They run smooth but slow. Just wanted to see if you could buy bushes between the links or silicone spray would improve it. And also if the motors themselves had known issues.

I can buy a new repro motor for $170. Not sure if they are typical repro cheapness and its better to rebuild the original.

10 minutes ago, smh00n said:

I have not pulled it down yet, but I suspect drag. They run smooth but slow. Just wanted to see if you could buy bushes between the links or silicone spray would improve it. And also if the motors themselves had known issues.

I can buy a new repro motor for $170. Not sure if they are typical repro cheapness and its better to rebuild the original.

I would lube my original before paying money for a repop. Nothing to wear on the linkage, mostly dirt/dust causing the problem and a good lube of all moving parts of the linkage should solve your problem. I do not have wiper mechanism that is out of the car at the moment to take a picture, if you remove yours and post a picture, I can point the joints to lube.

Thanks, I know what to lube but wasn't sure what bits you could buy.

Sounds like I have a wiper motor that could be gummed up. I'll reef it out and check it (after I fix the gas gauge)

5 minutes ago, smh00n said:

Thanks, I know what to lube but wasn't sure what bits you could buy.

Sounds like I have a wiper motor that could be gummed up. I'll reef it out and check it (after I fix the gas gauge)

I use ATF in a syringe to lube; thin enough to be wicked in everywhere, will clean and carry away dirt/corrosion when you move joints by hand, the parts move slow and not much load on moving parts. Silicone or grease won't go in between moving parts that can't be separated in the assembly.

Well I have had a productive 2 hours.

Wiper motor is original to the car, built on March 24 1970. Still has the plastic cover over it, original bolts not been moved and the brushes still have a small bit of the original square ends on them; as in not even worn in yet. Also under the cowl is clean and original. No rust, no holes, no ugly. Funny, this car was built in Dearborn got sold up there somewhere and ended up in Texas. 

So I pulled the linkage too. Passenger side was nice and free but the driver a bit tight. With a bit of work flushing out the crap it's probably 50% better.

Chucked silicone lube over all the joints, cleaned all the earths and put it back together. On a dry screen it was an improvement so happy about that.

Then I went for a drive to celebrate.

Dog on it, I was slow in responding again. I was going to make the suggestion that the motor was not getting the full voltage.  This actually could happen,  just  like the dim headlights on most of your cars.  But if yours is working well, then it is getting full voltage. If there is 14 volts on the battery, there could be 11 volts at the wiper motor, which would cause it to run slow.  I have not heard of this ever being a problem, but it could happen.  

In my car the voltage to the headlights was 11 volts when the battery was 14.  So I added the headlight relay.  My horn would not work because it was not getting enough voltage, so I added a horn relay.    The wiper will be next? 

Congrats on yours, now move on to the other 6,234 problems. 

I forgot to check the voltage. Probably because of the gas issue. 

I have to do the horn relay too...

My car has 6,235 problems it seems, everytime I check something it needs replacing. Like the headlight bucket that was put in sideways because it was from another car. Or the construction screws holding half the car together.