Jump to content

Recommended Posts

To make a long story short, I'm trying to convert my cooling system to electric cooling fans. I live in the NYC area with lots of traffic and the offset 16" electric fan (without a shroud) is just not enough. I have a 302 with a champion 3 row radiator and a dual fan fan shroud (thinking that there wasn't enough clearance between a 16" fan with a fan shroud. This weekend I tried fitting (unsuccessfully) two spal  30102800 (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30102800?cm_mmc=ppc-google-_-search-_-brands-_-keyword&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbbbjPTb6gIVSZyzCh0-9g07EAAYASAAEgKJgvD_BwE) but unfortunately they were still too thick. I know they make thinner fans but the thinner ones don't seem to put out much CFMs. I'm just wondering what my options are and if anyone else has had any success running high cfm dual fans and for recommendations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be honest I am not sure on either of those.  I think you can do some more research on Vintage Mustang Forum as I think more people have used them over there.  I have a generic Radiator that has side tanks so it wouldn't fit on my radiator, but with the stock tanks for the radiator I think it could fit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem is the radiator. I did some research on popular Mustang radiators. While it is easy to think that a 3-row should be sufficient, it may not be the case. The tube size is the important factor in a radiator. The larger the tube, the more contact surface it has th the cooling fins.

Popular Mustang radiators has the following tube sizes: 

  1. Griffin Thermal Products p/n 7-70164  has  1.25" tube size (2-row) Total tube surface diameter = 2.5"
  2. Be Cool p/n 62187 has 1" tube size (2-row) Total tube surface diameter  = 2"
  3. DeWitts Radiator p/n 32-1238007M has 1" tube size (2-row) Total tube surface diameter = 2"
  4. Champion Radiators p/n CC338 has 0.63" tube size (3-row) Total tube surface diameter = 1.89"
  5. Scott Drake p/n 338-3HF has 0.5" tube size (3-row) Total tube surface diameter = 1.5"

So, as the chart shows, a 3-row radiator does not have more cooling surface than a 2-row. It has less.  A shroud will help, and powerful fans too, but in slow traffic you get problems with charging with the fans going full bore all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went with a pair of Maradyne M122K Champion Series, rated at 1,565 CFM each and 18 amps draw per. I made a custom shroud and reverse fitted them as space with the sepentine setup was tight, tad under 4". I  now have 3,130 total CFM. 

20200718_123022_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 69Stanger408 said:

I went with a pair of Maradyne M122K Champion Series, rated at 1,565 CFM each and 18 amps draw per. I made a custom shroud and reverse fitted them as space with the sepentine setup was tight, tad under 4". I  now have 3,130 total CFM. 

20200718_123022_HDR.jpg

I used the same fans Stanger . I’m pretty happy with them and also made a shroud similar although I mounted my fans on the outside. 
I’m using the BB radiator that is standard on the A/C cars. Keeps it cool in our Aussie summers that go way over 100 . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2020 at 3:45 PM, fvike said:

I think the problem is the radiator. I did some research on popular Mustang radiators. While it is easy to think that a 3-row should be sufficient, it may not be the case. The tube size is the important factor in a radiator. The larger the tube, the more contact surface it has th the cooling fins.

Popular Mustang radiators has the following tube sizes: 

  1. Griffin Thermal Products p/n 7-70164  has  1.25" tube size (2-row) Total tube surface diameter = 2.5"
  2. Be Cool p/n 62187 has 1" tube size (2-row) Total tube surface diameter  = 2"
  3. DeWitts Radiator p/n 32-1238007M has 1" tube size (2-row) Total tube surface diameter = 2"
  4. Champion Radiators p/n CC338 has 0.63" tube size (3-row) Total tube surface diameter = 1.89"
  5. Scott Drake p/n 338-3HF has 0.5" tube size (3-row) Total tube surface diameter = 1.5"

So, as the chart shows, a 3-row radiator does not have more cooling surface than a 2-row. It has less.  A shroud will help, and powerful fans too, but in slow traffic you get problems with charging with the fans going full bore all the time.

Has anyone used that Griffin radiator?  Sounds like what I need.

Link to Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-7-70164?filters=year%2F1969%2Fmake%2Fford%2Fmodel%2Fmustang

Also what challenges are there with going from 20" to 24"?  Do I need a new core support and fan shroud?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was considering griffin when I get to that point. I found there are a few other “direct fit” aluminum radiators that are 1/2 the price. Look around before you make a decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

53 minutes ago, jmlay said:

I was considering griffin when I get to that point. I found there are a few other “direct fit” aluminum radiators that are 1/2 the price. Look around before you make a decision.

With similar specs as the griffin? 

I ask because I'm also in need of a radiator for my 408w. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Has anyone used that Griffin radiator?  Sounds like what I need.

Link to Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-7-70164?filters=year%2F1969%2Fmake%2Fford%2Fmodel%2Fmustang

Also what challenges are there with going from 20" to 24"?  Do I need a new core support and fan shroud?

I had a Griffin before my crash. It was an "Direct-fit", not the Exact-fit, so I had to dent the underside of the hood to clear the cap. I had dual slim spal fans. It cooled great, but for my rebuild I wanted a OEM appearance and a perfect fit, so I went with DeWitts with dual spal fans in a shroud. Have not run the car with that setup yet.

Only thing you need to go to the 24" radiator is  removing the drivers side block off plate, and adding the bolt in lower radiator cradles. And new hoses of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fvike said:

I had a Griffin before my crash. It was an "Direct-fit", not the Exact-fit, so I had to dent the underside of the hood to clear the cap. I had dual slim spal fans. It cooled great, but for my rebuild I wanted a OEM appearance and a perfect fit, so I went with DeWitts with dual spal fans in a shroud. Have not run the car with that setup yet.

Only thing you need to go to the 24" radiator is  removing the drivers side block off plate, and adding the bolt in lower radiator cradles. And new hoses of course.

I think the one linked is the exact fit.  So hopefully no hammers are required.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...