Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

AC Controls, Dealer AC and Vintage Air

I have a non-AC car with Dealer AC installed.

So I have non-AC factory climate controls but a dealer installed under dash system that currently does not work.  In addition, my original climate controls are frozen up and I can't move top slider (Off-Heater-Defrost). The blender works and the fan switch moves but the fan does not come on.  I have not traced that but figure the fan will be replaced. Why would the Off-Heat-Defrost be frozen? Can it be fixed or replaced?  

I would love to use the Dealer AC controls and vents for a Vintage Air install.  I'm willing to do some work on the controls to put in new switches if necessary.  I wondered if I could just replace my old non-AC factory controls with a Factory AC control and just use the ducts and vents for AC. If I can avoid cutting my dash pad I would prefer not to.

Who has done a modern AC install and what would you recommend?

Driver vent and control head.  The left side is the on/off switch and thermostat / temperature setting dial, the needle under the dial tells you relative temp and affects cycling the compressor on or off with the original switch. It's hot in Texas now so it points to red.  The right side vertical slider switch is the fan control.

The passenger side ducts.  I would like to get the ball vents restored.

I only want to take the dash apart once so I will replace the heater box, hoses, dash bulbs, and radio all at the same time. Anything else?

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

My guess on your frozen switch is the cable that operates it is bad. If your controls the factory installed ones there is nothing to them so it could only be the cable. If you go with vintage air or classic auto air they reuse your factory non ac gauges. All the cables that originally operated them are deleted also. 

Depending on what your ac needs it may be cheaper to replace it. Classic auto air has a kit that looks very similar to what you have. It’s a little on the pricy side and why not upgrade to the in dash unit at that cost if you have to. Your upper controls should be an easy fix. Your cables are probably broken or locked up. 

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1969-ford-mustang-daily-driver-ac-kit/

35 minutes ago, Kris said:

Depending on what your ac needs it may be cheaper to replace it. Classic auto air has a kit that looks very similar to what you have. It’s a little on the pricy side and why not upgrade to the in dash unit at that cost if you have to. Your upper controls should be an easy fix. Your cables are probably broken or locked up. 

https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1969-ford-mustang-daily-driver-ac-kit/

This looks perfect.  I might be able to make my old controls work with the new system and keep the vintage look.

Another question:

Since I live where I will never drive the car when it needs a heater should I consider removing the heater hoses and exchange and just putting a recirculating hose on the block and water pump?

It's been over 95 F all week with a few 105-109 F days mixed in.

I am not aware of any value in an original dealer installed AC.  It is unique.  If you are going to drop a lot of cash into it, though, consider obtaining the parts for factory AC.  It is a large job to get all the correct parts and install them, but then you have it done.  I know of a few junked  cars in Minnesota that have the AC parts, so I know they are available. 

With Vintage Air (and likely Classic Auto Air), you pull the stock heater controls and replace the cables with rheostats, so there are no more cables used to control the blend doors.  Also, Vintage Air has an option to put the ball vents low like your dealer installed kit has.

https://www.vintageair.com/custom/product-pop.php?pn=551170 or

https://www.vintageair.com/custom/product-pop.php?pn=951170

15 hours ago, danno said:

I am not aware of any value in an original dealer installed AC.  It is unique.  If you are going to drop a lot of cash into it, though, consider obtaining the parts for factory AC.  It is a large job to get all the correct parts and install them, but then you have it done.  I know of a few junked  cars in Minnesota that have the AC parts, so I know they are available. 

I don't think it has value either but it is unique.  I have a lot of memories in this car so there is that nostalgic value as well.

I am strongly leaning towards the Classic Air under dash system.  The plenum and eyeball vents look identical and the center control can probably be modified to use my old ones.  I'm sure the new ones are less expensive to manufacture.  I think with that kit the only thing I will re-use is the center rectangular controls.  

I’ve never seen a dealer installed A/C unit. Looks pretty cool. 
I have the factory AC unit that I restored a few years back. Surprisingly the vacuum motors all still work . It doesn’t cool as good as a new car but does a great job for 50 years old. 

The easy option would be to go with a modern unit but if you want to keep the dealer option I’m sure you can buy the bits to make it work. 

9 hours ago, Shep69 said:

I’ve never seen a dealer installed A/C unit. Looks pretty cool. 
I have the factory AC unit that I restored a few years back. Surprisingly the vacuum motors all still work . It doesn’t cool as good as a new car but does a great job for 50 years old. 

The easy option would be to go with a modern unit but if you want to keep the dealer option I’m sure you can buy the bits to make it work. 

Yes, My confidence level has gone from 20% to 90% with the link that @Kris shared to Classic Auto Air https://www.classicautoair.com/shop/1969-ford-mustang-daily-driver-ac-kit/

If you look at the under dash plenum it looks the same as the one I have.  I only need to patch in my old controls.  I'll get modern performance with the vintage look.

That is my "vision" for my car.  To keep the vintage look and have better performance, reliability and drive-ability.  So putting new guts inside the AC I have fits along with the put a digital radio with bluetooth inside my vintage AM radio.

This sounds like a good topic for a thread of it's own.