steve68

Damn Turn Signals

Thanks in advance for ANY input :)

OK so I have already spent hours reading through online thread re: Turn signals not working and flashers do. Tried a ton of things but still having the  issue.

This is where I am:

Emergency flashers work. Turn signals do not. 

I have replaced the fuse, in column turn signal switch, and flasher units. I even switch the flasher units and the emergency flashers still worked, turn signals not.

Brake lights work. Lights work. Dash lights work. Flashers stay solid and don't flash when brake peddle used.

I have voltage going to and through the turn signal flasher unit connector and the flasher unit when the turn singles are activated, but the lights still don't work.

So currently stumped :)

Jeez and help will be appreciated. 

Stephen

25 minutes ago, Mach1Rider said:

Send a note to Midlife, He will check out whats in your shorts.... Errr help with your problem resident wiring Guru.

Mach1Rider how do I find Midlife. New to the site so not sure. I tried a search, nothing came up

Thanks but that does not do anything. The crazy thing is I get power to the flasher connector when I click right or left on the turn signals. But the lights do not work, dash wise or on the corners. But the emergency flashers work all around.

Need to know what year (1970 has some really bizarre wiring related to grounds).  From your description, my first thought is that you have a bad turn signal.  However, if you have a 70, then things will get real complicated for trouble-shooting.

If flashers don't work but 4 ways do, the problem is almost always in the turn signal switch.  They can easily short out if you tighten the steering wheel down a bit too hard: there's rivet heads on the back of the TS switch and they can contact the steering column and short out.  I always recommend black electrical tape over those rivet heads before installation.

Here is a link to a thread on this problem, which also contains a link to a thread I started.    

A little bit of a synopsis of the threads.     Low battery can cause turn signal problems.   Dirty connector in the fuse box will cause problems.    Bad bulb can cause problems.  Poor grounds will case problems.   I have had all of them both together and separate.   .   So I would suggest, charge the battery, clean the clips which hold the turn signal fuse in place and check your grounds.   I hope this helps.  Please let us know what fixes the problem.  Electrical problems are the worst and we are dealing with 50 year old wires and connectors.   My apologizes if you have already reviewed these threads.

I'll start out by saying I'm more familiar with GM issues so here is what I've found in those cases. The plug for the column or the turn signal switch are your most likely culprits based on your having brake lights and 4ways.

Hi All. I'm back LOL. All I can say is I am FRAKIN STUMPED. 

To Update. The Emergency Flashers work fine, all of the outside corners flash as do the in dash Flasher/turn signal lights. But the turn signals do NOT work

1 - I have just replaced the in column turn signal switch and made sure all of the wires are connected in the plug correctly.

2 - I have replaced the two flasher units and I have switched them back and forth, in the dash,  to make sure they both work and still the Emer Flashers work, the turn signals do NOT

3 - Cleaned all terminals in the fuse box and replaced the 14Amp fuse. 

4 - I replaced all of the bulbs with new ones

I have studied the wiring schematic for the turn sig switch and wiring, checked all the wires in those circuits for broken wires and everything looks good. I checked the in plug connectors also and everything looks snug there also.

So Im thinking my question is: Why would the flashers still work and the turn signals not?

I put a volt meter on the Emergency Flasher circuit and the voltage flashes 12V to 0 as the flashers work.

I have constant voltage at the turn signal flasher unit connectors, that comes straight from the fuse box it looks like. 

Sorry guys. Hate to bring this subject up again. If I can work out how the turn signals function seperately from the Emergency Flashers maybe I can debug this.

Cheers and thanks for any insights.

Steve

You may have an issue at the side marker bulbs, rear bulbs, or front bulbs.  Here's how I trouble-shoot turn signal issues, knowing I have good voltage going to the turn signal switch.

Remove all bulbs on each side except one.  Test turn signal on that side.  Does it work?  Great!  Now add another bulb and test again.  The bulb that was just added that stops the system from flashing is where the problem lies.  If all bulbs work on one side, then go to the other side and do the same. What happens if no flashing if one bulb is in?  Remove bulb and try another location.  Best to start with the highest current-drawing bulb: the 1157 at the rear.

Sometimes the problem is in the dash cluster itself.  You have to have at least one bulb in the circuit for the flasher to work, so you have to have one bulb on the car's exterior and remove the bulb in the dash cluster to see if that is the cause.