Sign in to follow this  
TexasEd

Primer color effect on top coat color

I have an original 69 Candyapple Red.  The primer is showing in places and it is white.  Was this the correct primer color for that car (Metuchin built in Jan 69)?

I'm curious about what the difference of a black undercoat would have on that factory color or just stay with the original white.

Thanks

Oh wow.  You'll get a variety of opinions on this, but best to talk to an experienced painter.  Some highly recommend gray (grey?) for certain colors, black for darker colors, and white primer for light colors.  The undercoat primer can and does affect the outcome of the resultant paint color.  I have no idea what Ford did at Metuchin and whether they used a single primer color for everything or varied it.  I would suspect a single primer color.  This is a good question for the Concours crowd.

It was actually a very light grey over the red oxide ,at least in san jose  . The new paints ,the primer color can make a very big difference in the top coat ,the new paints are very transparent . Try to match the primer to the color . I sprayed 4 coats of ppg midnight blue over light grey ,somthing i did a lot in the 80s with single stage and it always covered nicely .last car i painted  with the newer paints i could still see through the color even with 4 coats ,and wound up having to spray again with a color matching primer .