Kris

Mystery wire

I installed my under dash wiring harness this weekend and there’s a single black wire that is a little behind the gauge plug. Where does this connect. It wasn’t hooked up to anything when I took the car apart. There’s no connector on it and I can’t seem to find it in the wiring diagram. 

9886FD3C-26EF-4AF1-A632-B7D55EBC7665.jpeg

Nope, it is a blind circuit and the end doesn't attach to anything.  So why is it there?  It's attached at the dash cluster plug to the violet resistor wire.  That wire is a single strand 28 to 32 gauge wire, too small for the pin to crimp onto the single strand.  So...simply add another 18 gauge wire to the resistor wire for mechanical strength at the crimp and Bob's your Uncle!

Simply tuck that black wire out of the way and be happy. 

11 hours ago, Midlife said:

It already is at the other end of the black wire. 

What Mid is saying is that terminals have a minimum crimp range. If the wire is too small it will fall out of the terminal. The easiest thing for Ford to do was add a wire to the terminal so the violet resistor wire wouldn't fall out. It gives the terminal something to grab onto. If the end is exposed you probably want to tape it off.