69RavenConv

Looking for a windshield

My original windshield was broken, so back during the Reagan administration I grabbed one out of a parts car, I think it was a 1970. It's served me well enough but it suffers from the psychedelic starburst effect when I drive into the sun. So I guess I need a new one. I don't need concours correct but "more-or-less" correct - Carlite logo, etc.

Been eyeballing the NPD offering, it seems like a good price for a Carlite logo but I hear they are thinner than OEM which worries me a little. Any thoughts or experience with windshields lately? Does the thinner glass pose any fitment problems? Anyone know what ECS in Missouri is charging these days?

I bought the Carlite glass from NPD, and drove to Ventura Ca to avoid $150 delivery charge. It is a bit thinner than stock but hasn't been an issue. My top molding has a ~3/16" gap to the glass, but doesn't leak. The side moldings sit much closer. Rich MTF may have a tip to get it to sit at the stock position. 

49 minutes ago, mustangstofear said:

All the newer windshields are a little bit thinner, but it's not a problem at all. I use rubber setting blocks to keep the windshield at the proper height. 

How thick are the rubber setting blocks Rich? And do you make them or buy somewhere?

Thanks for the feedback guys, sounds like NPD is the way to go. Curious about the setting blocks, too - that's a generous offer MTF but is it something I could buy or make easily without using up your stock? I vaguely recall some sort of spacers at the base of the windshield when I put it in years ago but I could be mistaken. Reusable? 

Did you guys use the butyl strip or urethane? I did the old school butyl back in the day, which I'm inclined to do again but I could be talked into urethane if it makes sense. 

If you measure from the car body windscreen opening to the windscreen then that will tell you the depth that the glass need to settle to into the opening, then measure to the depth minus the thickness of the windscreen and that will tell you the thickness of the spacers you need.

When I set the windshield in urethane lime in the video,  I  snap the chrome immediately,  that way I know I have distance between the windshield and the mouldings.  At that point I  slip a couple of rubber spacer at the top to make sure the windshield doesn't settle down. 

1 hour ago, mustangstofear said:

When I set the windshield in urethane lime in the video,  I  snap the chrome immediately,  that way I know I have distance between the windshield and the mouldings.  At that point I  slip a couple of rubber spacer at the top to make sure the windshield doesn't settle down. 

now you tell me the trick :(

I also get the starburst effect from all the small pits and scratches.  I was looking into a new windshield but when I bought a paint correction kit for my truck I saw they had windscreen polishing compounds and pads so I bought some.  I plan on trying a test area on my windshield. 

Has anyone done this?

I will probably still get a new one eventually that has tint (All my class is clear, no tint at all).

On 7/14/2020 at 12:11 AM, unilec said:

If you measure from the car body windscreen opening to the windscreen then that will tell you the depth that the glass need to settle to into the opening, then measure to the depth minus the thickness of the windscreen and that will tell you the thickness of the spacers you need.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:16 AM, mustangstofear said:

Also, I'm slow today and not following these two posts.  

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I also get the starburst effect from all the small pits and scratches.  I was looking into a new windshield but when I bought a paint correction kit for my truck I saw they had windscreen polishing compounds and pads so I bought some.  I plan on trying a test area on my windshield. 

Has anyone done this?

I will probably still get a new one eventually that has tint (All my class is clear, no tint at all).

I bought a bag of cerium oxide windshield polish a while ago but have not tried it. Most comments on the web say it doesn't work very well but I may give it a try before I go to the work of removing the windshield.