lalojamesliz

I need to finish..... serpentine belt help

if i only want to run the water pump and alternator do you guys think a serpentine belt system would be better than a separate belt system?  I need to find a bracket for the alternator too. 

This is for a 408w 

You want a serpentine because of a high amp alternator? A serpentine really snowballs- you'll have to go to a electric fan system for the radiator too. Those drag around 20 amps, and it doesn't have the classic look anymore- if you're interested in that. You may be better off with a double V belt for the alternator. Just so the guys know and can help-do you have power steering and air conditioning?

2 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

You want a serpentine because of a high amp alternator? A serpentine really snowballs- you'll have to go to a electric fan system for the radiator too. Those drag around 20 amps, and it doesn't have the classic look anymore- if you're interested in that. You may be better off with a double V belt for the alternator. Just so the guys know and can help-do you have power steering and air conditioning?

Yes I want to use the Ford contour fan set up so I will be using a high output alt. I didn't even think if the higher output alt will need a serpentine for extra grip on the belt/pulley.

I also plan to use electric power steering and  I already have the controller for it.  No air conditioning for me. I dont want to clutter up the engine bay too much and i hardly use it now on my daily drivers.  

I forgot, I also have a fuelab electric fuel pump! Wow I really need a high output alt. 

1 hour ago, Grabber70Mach said:

I'm really liking the cheaper simpler one.  Thank you for showing me this. I wonder if it will work with the contour fans....

I am running only an alternator on my 1987 5.0 in my 69 Coupe. I am using the Ford Contour electric cooling fans on a 24" radiator w/twin relays & circuit breakers. I am using a standard rotation water pump from a 1987 C/V, the alternator brackets I used were, cylinder head bracket # - DOOE-10A336-A2, alternator bracket # - DOOE-10156-A, alternator offset adjuster bracket # - D3AE-10145-DA with a Dayco 40" serpentine belt # - 5060410. I had to add a 3/4" spacer to the bottom bolt of the larger main alternator bracket. I used the 1987 C/V crank pulley & water pump pulley & a small case 95A 3G alternator from a 92-94 Ford Aerostar & it bolted right up.

Ford Contour electric cooling fans installed,

100_1621.thumb.JPG.2460151de981987ce8aabbdd42c04dc1.JPG

3G alternator setup,

100_1616.thumb.JPG.aeac8b055ec277cc7f3372accd2ed75a.JPG

Where the hell you been James, Lerdo? :)

I couldn't get the V belt to not squeal on start up with the 100 amp alternator, so I went to a serpentine belt. I made the alternator bracket and belt tightening rod. 

These things snowball when you start changing from stock. I lowered my motor to fit the shaker, which meant a different motor and trans mount, which caused the fan to hit the lower radiator hose, which meant electric fans, which meant bigger alternator...

Newer ain't always better. Good to have you back James. 

21 hours ago, RPM said:

Where the hell you been James, Lerdo? :)

I couldn't get the V belt to not squeal on start up with the 100 amp alternator, so I went to a serpentine belt. I made the alternator bracket and belt tightening rod. 

These things snowball when you start changing from stock. I lowered my motor to fit the shaker, which meant a different motor and trans mount, which caused the fan to hit the lower radiator hose, which meant electric fans, which meant bigger alternator...

Newer ain't always better. Good to have you back James. 

Bob? 

Ha ha ha how's it going?! 

I've been busy with my kids, wife projects and laziness on days off and of course my other cars.  I'm finishing a current home project for my wife and I'm yanking my longblock out to finally finish it.  Next on my list is to pull the I6 from my mustang.  I really need to make some serious progress because its been way too long. 

From what you say i now see a serpentine belt is mandatory for my build.  

How's your mustang doing?

I have a 100 amp Tuff Stuff alternator with the CVF pulleys and it's been fine.  Squealed a bit until I tightened it up. So it's more about if you want to look old skool or new skool. CVF makes good stuff. Just pick the look you like.

20200712_122318.jpg

On 7/14/2020 at 7:00 AM, lalojamesliz said:

How's your mustang doing?

It's running well. I've changed many things since we last met. As mentioned, put in the serpentine belt, redid the exhaust to side exit, swapped in an AOD till the planetary gears exploded, put thr FMX back in, about to install a toploader, replaced the 13" Cobra brakes with 14.2" four piston Brembos. Could be more stuff :)

9 hours ago, dbmac said:

I have a 100 amp Tuff Stuff alternator with the CVF pulleys and it's been fine.  Squealed a bit until I tightened it up. So it's more about if you want to look old skool or new skool. CVF makes good stuff. Just pick the look you like.

20200712_122318.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for sharing 

I'll have to look into CVF

6 hours ago, RPM said:

It's running well. I've changed many things since we last met. As mentioned, put in the serpentine belt, redid the exhaust to side exit, swapped in an AOD till the planetary gears exploded, put thr FMX back in, about to install a toploader, replaced the 13" Cobra brakes with 14.2" four piston Brembos. Could be more stuff :)

wow thats a lot of stuff!  The cobra brakes not working good enough?  I think thats the front set up i have waiting to be installed..... i still want to find a set of disc brakes for the rear.