dbmac

Collector Car Insurance?

This isn't that technical, but is anybody using the collector  car insurance guys like Hagerty or Grundy? I dont think my State Farm guys will do me right if things go bad. Paying 320/yr with SF for liability only, Hagerty quoted 600/yr for full coverage at $50K stated value, and Grundy was even lower at $380. Seems like a much better way to go. Anybody actually had a claim with either?  How did they do?

2 hours ago, Len69Coupe said:

Does Hagerty limit when you can drive your car? Like only to Car Shows or on the weekends?

Generally, no. The one "gotcha" I'm aware of is they don't offer roadside if you have a flat with no spare. 

7 hours ago, Len69Coupe said:

Does Hagerty limit when you can drive your car? Like only to Car Shows or on the weekends?

You pick what type driving fits your car. If you pick daily driver they won't insure you. 

Screenshot_20200712-120306_Chrome.jpg

21 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

Generally, no. The one "gotcha" I'm aware of is they don't offer roadside if you have a flat with no spare. 

16 hours ago, RPM said:

You pick what type driving fits your car. If you pick daily driver they won't insure you. 

Screenshot_20200712-120306_Chrome.jpg

Good info. I thought they limited how much you could drive. Thanks.

I also have Hagerty.  You must have a different car that is your primary daily driver, but they have no way to know how much and where you are driving it.  I  think you can typically only buy it from an agent that sells you the insurance on your primary car.  That is how they know it is not your primary car.    My last renew price was $288 for the year ( not 6 months) for full coverage. That is 250,000 liability limit and 1000 collision deductible in Minnesota. 

I have AAA towing insurance for roadside assistance.  $62 per year for any car I am driving or a passenger in. 

When I had Hagerty, I had to show proof of another vehicle for every driver in the house (only when first getting the policy...), and that the car was stored in a locked garage or facility.  No mileage restriction, but the policy is not intended for use as a daily driver.  Never had to use the insurance.  I bought mine directly from Hagerty and not from my regular insurance company.

It is a bit of an honor system. You say "I have a classic that I take really good care of and don't drive a lot, so I should get a price break" and they say "Do you have a daily driver that you take to work in rush hour and during blizzards while your classic is safe in the garage?".  That's kind of the unspoken agreement which seems fair to me.