bigmal

Removing knobs from 69 clock

Contrary to that thread link, the knobs just unscrew.  Pull the shaft out to full extension, grip the shaft and unscrew the knob.  Since you can buy new knobs, if the removal is really tough you can just grip the shaft with something and gorilla the plastic knob if necessary to unscrew it.  Then use a new knob when you reassemble.

8 hours ago, rockhouse66 said:

Contrary to that thread link, the knobs just unscrew.  Pull the shaft out to full extension, grip the shaft and unscrew the knob.  Since you can buy new knobs, if the removal is really tough you can just grip the shaft with something and gorilla the plastic knob if necessary to unscrew it.  Then use a new knob when you reassemble.

Thanks for that. I did try this but didn't want to risk damaging the knob. The shaft has corrosion where it screws into the knob so it's stuck firm. I'll give it another go tonight

I've messed with a bunch of clocks over the years, many I've put quartz movements in and a couple I've got going again with the stock movements.   Only had 1 or two that I could not get the knob to come off and gave up as I was concerned that I'd break the stem before it would actually unscrew.   One of the stubborn ones was a '69-70 Mach 1 clock.

The knob on O.E. '69-70 Mach 1 clocks is metal, not "plastic" so, there is a chance the shaft could snap off.

Doug