Rindelmach1

Fixed 69 mach1 clock

I finally got my clock ticking again. After removing my clock to check out why it wasn't ticking, i notice the contact broke off but that was 1 of 2 issues. I ended up soldering it on after 1000 attempts only to find out that the solenoid was burnt out. I found a company that makes the original electromechanical kit and replaced the guts with NOS. I am a stickler for originality and didn't want to convert to quartz.  I'll point out a few things that I'm sure will help the next guy.  The clock set knob does not come off.  I had to take off the sprocket (cog gear) by using a gear puller. Made a small plate with a slit to fit behind the small sprocket and attached a screw to the point of the gear puller so it would fit the tiny post on the gear. Then after a few steps i pulled the guts and replaced them.Kit cost $85 which was well worth it consider broken clocks are going for >$150.  anyone needing advise can reply. thanks

104-12t electromechanical kit
https://www.clocksandgauges.com/electric-clock-repair-kit.html

1 hour ago, bigmal said:

Hi, I am in the middle of a freshen of my panel. I can't see how to get the clock mechanism out of the housing without damaging it. Can you help.

Thanks, 

Hi Mal, 

mustang monthly did an article on how to strip down and repair clocks. It’s a 67/68 but the same principles. Just google it. 

I ended up doing mine a few years back with a new quartz movement. 

Something like the picture below.  I took a small rectangle plate and made a slit so it would fit under gear (with sprint pushed back). Then added a sheet rock screw to tip so point was small enough to press against gear post.  It came out by twisting the gear puller by hand. To put it back on, you simply put a small socket over it and tap it with small hammer.  see mustang360 article http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/interior-electrical/75658/photo-24.html

puller.JPG