a small problem,  maybe someones else has had it.  carb to intake,  on top of intake i get deposits of oil gas varnish or whatever,, n the pockets,  so i'm going to take the carb off and use new gasklets ,  do i have to tork the nuts the same or just guess?,   or maybe its another problem,  so what have u? 

If it's an original style carb you should have a spacer.  The spacer has an important vacuum port on it as a main source of vacuum for the car.  That might not be needed if you have tapped the intake for this vacuum somewhere else.

One of the things that happened to me was the secondary throttle diapraghm at the end of the throttle linkage (front side of carburetor) had a broken seal.  This allowed fuel to leak out of my carburetor through the cap covering the diaphragm, and as luck would have it it pools on the top of the intake.  This shocked me when I first found the problem, and made me concerned a fire could develop easily.  It is designed such that when this diaphragm fails, gas leaks out of the carb and drips down onto the intake - it's really kind of surprising to me that is the case.  Anyway, the diaphragm looks like this:

image.png.cfe130a9fa6d91244527356f6e5f968e.png

and is behind a cover at the end of the throttle linkage that looks like this: image.png.51d8d19ab181dd225d4fd3be37a5ea42.png

You can see the small hole at the bottom center.  Fuel will drain out there when the diaphragm is broken.  It creates a mess, and I feel like its a dangerous mess.

Your problem maybe something different, but if you have a standard carb, and are using typical 10% ethanol gas, and you are finding liquid fuel (or partially evaporated fuel) on your intake it could be this diaphragm.  It seems like you would notice the lack of extra punch when this fails, but I didn't notice with normal driving - I just found fuel on top of the engine while I was out.  I cleaned it up and went home.  later than evening I went to check it and it had pooled more fuel (drained out of the carb when I parked).  Nice thing is, it is an easy thing to check and easy & cheap to fix.

Hope you find this helpful.

It could also be the float bowls gasket is leaking. I would clean up the mess real well first. Start the engine let it idle, so the carb is under pressure. See if you can detect any dripping, or seepage while engine running.  With engine off , leave overnight see if you can detect any wet spot next day.