staffy

69 Restomod (UK)

I’ve taken the interior shell back to bare metal and then put a coat of etch primer and coat of 2K Epoxy primer, followed by seam sealer.

just need to decide on a final coat type, can’t make my mind up on exterior colour, so might just go for a simple satin black  -any thoughts on what Type of paint and colour would be appreciated 

Cheers

chris 

3F4B3CD9-F427-4DB6-8A7E-71FFF3F90FB9.jpeg

D0A66CE3-7F77-4344-8459-C4DEE6C07673.jpeg

i just mix up all the base coat samples that I have bought trying to choose a color, it won't be seen so you can use anything you want. Of course from the rear seat back into the trunk you would want to use the same color as the outside.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:09 AM, JET 445 said:

i just mix up all the base coat samples that I have bought trying to choose a color, it won't be seen so you can use anything you want. Of course from the rear seat back into the trunk you would want to use the same color as the outside.

Thank you, I must go black in trunk via `up Upol as its tintable 

On 11/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, RPM said:

Up front around the windshield and kick panels the paint shows around the trim panels, so color is important there also. The Osborne manual shows the locations. 

Thanks

I’ve been rather busy at work, so still being doing a bit, but between work.

finally finished the welding, long list is done !

Now onto main body work.

Just purchased the SoT coil overs. Long wait to get it over U.K. .....never done this mod before so intrigued as to how it will work out. 

38669E40-1E36-4B00-9BB6-9FE0906F5FCD.jpeg

D3EB8E0E-E66E-4660-8E5C-A73EFA2A2FD7.jpeg

96056AFE-2A32-47D8-8684-833D9EA67816.jpeg

I would leave the interior of the car in primer until you are nearly done.  There is a lot of work left in there, and the primer is perfect for protecting the metal and not worrying about the finish.

I spent a lot of time up close and personal in that interior, was happy not to worry where I put a wrench, or a beer, perhaps.....

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

On 1/9/2021 at 12:50 AM, Vicfreg said:

I would leave the interior of the car in primer until you are nearly done.  There is a lot of work left in there, and the primer is perfect for protecting the metal and not worrying about the finish.

I spent a lot of time up close and personal in that interior, was happy not to worry where I put a wrench, or a beer, perhaps.....

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

Nice work ! I did just do the Upol In the end 

Sorry guys no6 had chance r]to do many updates. 
I work as a Chief Engineer/Head of Facilties for a group of hospitals in the U.K., so been rather busy with Covid19, but still getting sporadic hours on her, had a week off recently and spent It on the car.

Summary; Put U pol raptor on inside, front rad support replaced, took hood, trunk and other panels down to bare metal, etch and high filler primer applied. 
started to get the panels back on and aligned, I really hate this part of the job ! 
hopefully the car will be collected for paint in next 1/2 weeks, going for a black top coat.

5B7312E1-2C3E-4D3F-88D1-F5B13FE5B296.jpeg

A615C70E-B9EA-4B92-A3D5-1BCD67EFB138.jpeg

E121232D-5D1A-493D-B98D-664D3085E425.jpeg

89D7D8DD-EA83-42AA-ABD4-2DD248C8B738.jpeg

9FD35D4D-FE22-4999-A43D-794FCD076F0F.jpeg

On 3/21/2021 at 8:48 AM, Mach1 Driver said:

Really- just six weeks? Here we call it "paint jail" and it seems to take forever to get them out.

I was being optimistic to be fair, but I have aligned most of the panels and striped a few down to bare metal.

Major jobs are the Door skin to change,  hood front to sort (minor dents) and the repro fender to sort out.

my guy is pretty fast and he has capacity now, so that’s why it’s gone a little earlier then I expected it 

he re-painted my Mach 1 about 12 months ago so I know his work.

Just need to  decide on paint colour, I’m really torn on colour, Wish me luck 

Chris 

Whilst the body is away, I’ve just started to  have a look at the engine. I know it’s a ‘69 302, from engine tag, but other than that no knowledge or history.

never rebuilt a V8 before, so time to learn.

Any tips  you guys can give would be appreciated, thinking of going for some Aluminium heads to wake the engine up. Might go stroked as well.

any tips/fed back on what works best, parts etc  would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris 

3D586EB7-4E63-4181-B98B-CD7A2C44D75D.jpeg

EBCAB027-4B54-475A-AB98-B9CBDAD1CE45.jpeg

7A2D88D8-4EFB-4DD6-88BD-F9BECEA3EABB.jpeg

Pleased to say she’s finally been painted, found far more to do, new taillight panel, original LHD fender, original  RHD door repairs etc, but finally she’s done.

for those who may to know about the colour, I choose a VW pepper grey colour, hint of a gold pearlescent in the sun 

I’m so happy !