rwcstang

advice on purchasing a 69 fastback project

Hi Everyone, 

So I have found a 69 Mustang Fastback "Mach 1"for sale, owner claims its a True Mach 1 the seller doesnt want to share the vin afraid of someone might steal it.. (red flag)

anyways, from the pictures the car looks like a 351w with an auto transmission, I dont think its an original motor/transmission, car looks to be 95% percent complete, claims rebuilt. I know the typical stuff to look for, as for rust in the floor pans, shock tower holes, qtr panels, torque boxes and b pillars. Also, Im going to ask for any documentation in regards to any repairs and see if he can provide DMV report to see if there is anything hidden.

car has old paint but not original, clear is peeling off, looks like someone hasn't driven it in years, I know in CA ppl tend to be high off their minds and asking 35k for a rust bucket. 

I was wondering how much 69 fastbacks run for in the current market and what to look out/ask for. 

Best, 

9 hours ago, Brian Conway said:

Probably not someone you'll want to buy a car from.  Just my opinion.  Brian

you are right. he reposted the listing with more information looks like someone checked it out and realized it wasn't a FB or Mach1: 

"69 Mustang Fastback. Certified 351 Cleveland rebuilt engine n 3 speed transmission. Dangerously powerful! Originally a convertible. $13999 OBO. Cash only."

He was trying to have a bidding war he listed it for 12k, then 16k then finally 20k, he then re-edited his posting to 13k obo. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/san-mateo-69-mustang-fastback/7147890181.html

I wouldn't touch that one. Brian's sniffer test worked just fine. 

FYI for those who don't know, ideally Mach 1s are identified by 63C on the driver's door warranty/data plate in the Body section. 

yeah, he called me back asking if I was still interested in the car I, told him I saw his updated listing and I wasn't interested as it wasn't a real FB/Mach 1. The car is pretty much worthless and should just be a parts car. 

Im still looking around for a 69 FB, I would love to pick one up locally in CA,  budget is between 15-25k. I know FB prices are going up, so decided to look for one this year, since Im done with my coupe. if I dont find one, Im just probably going to buy a used s550 mustang. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

I wouldn't touch that one. Brian's sniffer test worked just fine. 

FYI for those who don't know, ideally Mach 1s are identified by 63C on the driver's door warranty/data plate in the Body section. 

totally agree, and I did my homework learned on how to ID a mach 1 or FB in general, Brian hit the nail on the head.

when I texted him the first time, he didn't want to give up any information other than ppl were asking about the listing and someone offered 20k which he offered a viewing today at 4-5pm (pst).  I told him I was not interested in a bidding war.

luckily someone saw the car and called him out. 

On 6/26/2020 at 9:07 PM, rwcstang said:

totally agree, and I did my homework learned on how to ID a mach 1 or FB in general, Brian hit the nail on the head.

when I texted him the first time, he didn't want to give up any information other than ppl were asking about the listing and someone offered 20k which he offered a viewing today at 4-5pm (pst).  I told him I was not interested in a bidding war.

luckily someone saw the car and called him out. 

if you send me a pm with your contac info i will let you know if i come across one in so cal. i have seen 3 of them in the last 6 months.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:15 PM, barnett468 said:

if you send me a pm with your contac info i will let you know if i come across one in so cal. i have seen 3 of them in the last 6 months.

tried sending you a message, ur inbox was full.

On 6/27/2020 at 5:51 AM, mustangstofear said:

My brother  in Colorado just bought a 69 fastback this week that's in good shape,  been stored for the last 25 years.  I'll bet I can talk him into selling it.  

feel free to message me with some photos, I might be interested.