Sign in to follow this  
jperls

Power steering pump noise

Hi everyone,

So I had to overhaul my power steering system. The pump, hoses, slave cylinder, and control valve are all new. However, there is now a whining noise coming from either the pump or the control valve when the car runs and it seems to stop when it is turning. It is most noticeable at startup and while idling. And before anyone says it...I did bleed the system and have been driving the car quite a bit to ensure the system is bled.

Is this normal...I know before everything was replaced the car did not make this noise at all. My mechanic says this is now normal because I am actually getting pressure in the system...but I am not so sure. 

Any ideas?

Edited by jperls
added detail about bleeding system

A few months back I had done a few jobs on my 69 and when I started it there was a strange ticking/popping noise from my PSP. Steering worked fine but it was reasonably loud so I had to fix it.

I bought a second hand PSP and fitted it and the noise was the same. Really frustrating and what are the odds both PSPs had the same fault. They didn't.

Turned out, that with all the jobs I had done, one was to fit an electric fuel pump near the tank. I bypassed the mechanical fuel pump and because it was behind the PSP I was leaving removing it to a later day. The noise was the popping of the fuel pump as I hadn't capped the fittings, which sits right behind the PSP. Even worse, the PSP I fitted leaked oil so I had to change it back. Smack up the back of the head was well deserved.