dbmac

Anti-theft for these old classic cars?

On 6/24/2020 at 6:38 PM, Midlife said:

Bah.  I simply remove the gas tank and carry it with me when I go into the store. 

If someone wants to use a wrecker to haul the car off, nothing can stop that (with the exception of a metal device that spits out metal or a trunk monkey).

Removing the gas tank too much trouble, and fire hazard.   I usually take the distributer off and carry it with me.  For GPS I let my insurance policy handle it.  

You are a bunch of clever bastards!

I used to pull the rotor, but this on is a Summit with a screw on cap. Doable but a pain. But I guess it's worth it.

I like the hidden kill switch, but by hotwiring the coil it bypasses most of them. Maybe the have the cutoff disconnect one of the distributor leads? The hotwire lights the coil but the distributor is not lit... my wires are all wrapped in power braid, not easy to figure them all out in a hurry.

Not a big fan of the hood locks, I used to see them with the clip pin replaced by padlocks. Too lowrider for me. Anybody ever done a remote hood release? Not that you couldn't just crawl under and reach up to pop it.

Smith and Wesson: not a good enough shot for that. Probably lose a toe...

Fuel pump cutoff is good, they might still get the car but at least make the getaway a bit harder. Same on the GPS and shutoff.

So that leaves... TRUNK MONKEY!

Bummed that it's no longer available! 

9 hours ago, dbmac said:

I like the hidden kill switch, but by hotwiring the coil it bypasses most of them. Maybe the have the cutoff disconnect one of the distributor leads? The hotwire lights the coil but the distributor is not lit... my wires are all wrapped in power braid, not easy to figure them all out in a hurry.

If you still have points, see post 2. This is by far the best way to disable the car. It shorts out the points and the only way to circumvent it is to find the wire, and disconnect it. 'The usual method of "adding" a jumper from the battery won't go around it. The thief doesn't usually have the luxury of the time required to figure out what has been done and correct it.

If your ignition system isn't stock, well, I haven't investigated Pertronix, but I do know a safe and easy way to disable a MSD ignition system. If I was a thief and wanted to steal a stock old Ford, I would have three things in my pocket: a jumper wire, a screwdriver, and a rotor. That doesn't require much forethought.

On 6/28/2020 at 5:29 PM, bigmal said:

I have a GPS tracker which has remote disable functions.

I had already fitted an electric fuel shutoff because I believed fuel was draining out of the carby when parked without starting for a few weeks. I also have an electric fuel pump at the fuel tank. Incidentally, it's still a prick to start if left for more than two weeks.

If the car is towed, turned on or battery disconnected I get a text and email. I open the app and it shows the cars location and if moving. I can then click 'Disable'. Options include Immediately or <10mph (to avoid an accident). I have the disable connected to my fuel shutoff. The car will run for until the carby is out of fuel but the pump can still be heard running so the asshole is not aware of what is happening, All it needs is a 'Release Trunk Monkey' function.

The map also shows the cars route. This is an Australian service with an annual subscription (Mustrack) which is quite cheap. Not sure what's available in the US.

Download the 'family locator' app onto yours and spouse phone. whenever leave the car, hide the extra phone in a secret place it act as a no fee GPS locator even the car got towed

51 minutes ago, dream car said:

Download the 'family locator' app onto yours and spouse phone. whenever leave the car, hide the extra phone in a secret place it act as a no fee GPS locator even the car got towed

I'll have to try that