Mustanger69

scott drake gas cap

this question might be a little out there but if anyone knows it would be you guys i just bought a scott drake replacement gas cap and my old cap has a rubber seal that the new one dosent but it dose have a card board appearing material under the twist lock where the gasket should be i don't think i should take it off because why would they put it there. I'm unsure but some one here probably has experience its a 1969 btw Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mustanger69 said:

this question might be a little out there but if anyone knows it would be you guys i just bought a scott drake replacement gas cap and my old cap has a rubber seal that the new one dosent but it dose have a card board appearing material under the twist lock where the gasket should be i don't think i should take it off because why would they put it there. I'm unsure but some one here probably has experience its a 1969 btw Thanks!

Last gas cap I bought for my 70 Grande around 1996 has a card board looking material as a gasket too.

23 minutes ago, Mach1Rider said:

Yes, But make sure the cap is vented or you still have the fuel canister vent set up installed.

i believe its not vented i haven't put it on yet how would i tell if the fuel canister vent is in? thanks

look at the top of the fuel tank, In the left front corner will be connection points to the charcoal canister in the engine bays drivers side front with tube to air cleaner.

If not there the cap must be vented or damage to tank may occur and engine run problems pop up.