Mountaineerfan

Brakes causing stalling

So I’m going to be tracking down some vacuum leak today. I know what to check, but I have a question for the knowledgeable folks here that have helped me in the past! When driving yesterday, the engine would sputter and want to die when I stepped on the brakes at a stoplight. I’m going to check the booster and check valve, and I admit I’m not fully versed on how power brake systems work, so what is happening with the power brakes that would cause engine sputtering?

possible leak in booster.

Run engine to build booster pressure and shut it off.

pump brakes 3-4 times to relieve build up. With foot on brake start engine, does the pedal drop down? yes the booster is working.

No the booster may be leaking internally.

Also after running engine listen for leak at booster check valve.

There are several good youtube videos on how the boosters work. One is a younger guy with a drawing of a booster using a white board. Another is a guy in a wrecking yard and at a point he cuts a booster open. Both were very informative for me as I battled brake problems last summer.  The guys at Power Brake Booster Exchange  in Oregon are great also.   Dave R.