smh00n

Strut rod bracket bushings?

My 70 has round 'sleeves' that are fitted inside the bracket where the lower control arm strut rod bolts to the chassis. Looks like they are on both sides and reduce the ID of the mount hole where the bushes go in. They are not the sleeves that go over the actual strut rod and are fitted into the round hole of the chassis bracket.

They are pretty thin. One has worn through and fallen out so the bushes are a bit loose although I've not tightened the bushes up yet.

I can't find a reference to them anywhere. Is this an original part or have I again been sucked in by some previous 'restorer'?

I'll post pics if needed.

So this is the sleeve in position1793018016_IMG_23561.thumb.JPG.fb029b9675e7e544b7f22936c81fc219.JPG

This is the sleeve on the ground255347055_IMG_23571.thumb.JPG.994e1e0a967df3c3fb62fef482462f2e.JPG

And this is the poly bush fitted with and without the sleeve. There's not a huge difference in size but having spent $1,000 rebuilding the whole front end, introducing slack doesn't seem right.1438714988_IMG_23581.thumb.JPG.c1e7f1a8d0d832a604666d47df037125.JPG1773897301_IMG_23591.thumb.JPG.d15f29322cc7d24db9759183218676bb.JPG

Don't know what your doing with the front end...stock,ish, mod, performance/rallyrace ?  For a mostly stock street/1/4 mile track driven car I would  clean up the worn parts and re-install them.  I would use rubber bushings with the OE strut rods and OE large washers.  I am assuming the strut rod braces and brackets are in good/servicable/solid shape ?  The bushings get ' locked ' in when you get the alignment done.   Of course you could replace the entire strut rod bracket assembly, both sides, and carry on.  Brian

Well I just reused the sleeves that were there. The photo one was the worst wear so good enough.

This is just a road car and as Australia doesn't allow fuck all modifications to cars all I have done is replace everything with new bits. 

My opinion on the sleeve is they were there to keep from chewing up the bushings as they rubbed against the multiple layers steel that meet at that point. Not sure wearing outt he busing in this area  is of great concern. It will likely rot before any abrasion causes an issue. At his point I do not think not having them will make the bushing loose, when the bushing is compressed will take up any extra space.