ralt962

Front suspension brace for Jacking

Just curious,  does anybody actually used the steel braces recommended when jacking up the front end of the car?   If not have you seen any damage to the ball joints or sway bar attachments?

I made a set and have used them but they tend to be a pain to position correctly as you jack the car.  

thanks

I added the lower tab like Brian did.  otherwise it crushes the Fuel line that runs along that edge.  I think the dimensions are a little long.  I'm going to shorten mine a bit. 

They are a pain to put in and take out.

Great feed back.

second question,  when you put your car on jackstands, do you use the lower are pivot point or back under the body?

I typically put the jack stands under the inner pivot point for the lower control arm.   Most of the front end weight is right there.  '

thanks,

Thanks all.  Nice jacking platform @mustangstofear!  A bit overkill for my application at home.  When that vehicle lift gets here though..

524052619_JackSupport.thumb.png.1d7de9b34f1eea2d34c0af7404bf5e0e.png

Before I go make a pair of these, any changes you guys would recommend in terms of dimensions or features to make them easier to install or use?

@ralt962 You had some idea of some adjustments?

Thanks all-

Jay

Suggestions ?   Shelby/Arning drop and tire/wheel size are two variables that affect length.  A field measurement from your car would give you a better approximation ?  Upper control arm mounting saddle and the distance to the frame rail mounting area would give you a better idea of over all length.  Brian

I've always used a spring compressor to compress the spring when doing ball joints, I'm sure this was quicker at the dealership though, as they could leave the shock and spring in place. You better trust your welds though, or you'll be wearing the spring when it fails.

From what that page looks like ford intended these as a tool for keeping the suspension loaded to change ball joints without complete disassembly  not for general lifting of the cars. If you needed them to lift the car, at least 1 would have been with the jack tools in the trunk.