simplyj

Manual centerlink not lining up with pitman arm

What am I doing wrong here, why won't this fit?  69-70 boss 302 manual center link & new 67-70 manual steer pitman arm.  Idler arm is a manual steer roller 67-70 unit from opentracker.  Borgeson integrated power steering box. 

49921010322_2c7d84edbb_b.jpg[

I'm wondering if that center link is not bent? I'd inquire with John at Opentracker. Send him that pic. He and his wife Shari are two of the finest people you will ever meet in this business. 

On the center link, the idler arm mount and the pitman arm mount should be on the same plane. It might not be possible to view those two points with the center link in there. If not, remove the center link and check those two areas to confirm they're on the same plane. 

I checked the box and it says 67-70 m/s v8 1 1/8" pitman arm.  The boss 302 center link is just a bit beefier so takes different inner tie rods than 1969.  It's the exact same as the 1970 m/s center link so wouldn't affect the pitman arm selection.  

15 hours ago, RPM said:

On the center link, the idler arm mount and the pitman arm mount should be on the same plane. It might not be possible to view those two points with the center link in there. If not, remove the center link and check those two areas to confirm they're on the same plane. 

you and John from Opentracker had the same recommendation so I pulled the center link and it does appear it is twisted a degree or two.  

49923043736_bb3863d97c_b.jpg

hard to tell, but with the idler arm mount in line with the floor tile, it's pretty obvious that it's twisted a bit counter clockwise.  

I think I have the answer to this. I also encountered this problem and for my situation I figured it out, and actually wrote a bit (look up my threads) about why this disappointed me.

I'm pretty sure it's the height (up and downwards) of the borgesons splines. The borgeson vs the factory gear box does not put the pitman in the same plane as factory, thus the pitman arm won't/doesnt want to sit down like it should.

I went to manual steering setup first (manual C.L., 70' tie rods/spindles), everything worked great and installed easily/correctly. Aka the issue youre posting about wasn't there. However driving around was way too difficult so I purchased the borgeson kit thinking people liked them.

I noticed the same thing you did during install, but mine may have been slightly less bad of a fit than yours. I also noticed the overall angle AND position of the C.L. changed with the borgeson-- drastically--so much in fact that the tie rods couldn't be adjusted to center the steering properly. 

So I had to have my new Baer tracker kit sleeves cut shorter and my inner tie rods just to get the steering centered. This is inexcusable for part fitment if you ask me, and left a bad taste in my mouth as there was no mention of this anywhere in their documentation.

However this obviously does nothing for the issue youre posting about. Ever since the borgeson install, despite (good) realignments, I can't get my car to steer straight (like it did with manual steering) at all. It wants to go left and right but not straight. 

Now I'm stuck with an expensive aftermarket system that I don't like, has fit issues, has a pump noisier than the factory Ford pump was, and it doesn't steer straight. If I ever went to a different setup I hope there's enough threads on everything to get the car aligned.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:45 AM, simplyj said:

you and John from Opentracker had the same recommendation so I pulled the center link and it does appear it is twisted a degree or two.  

hard to tell, but with the idler arm mount in line with the floor tile, it's pretty obvious that it's twisted a bit counter clockwise.  

Is the manual steering center link you are using an original one or a repop?

I have a borgeson setup on my car but I haven’t driven with it yet so I can say how well it will work. My original manual center link and pitman arm lined up perfectly with the borgeson steering box. Are you sure your center link is from a mustang and not from a different model. You’re the first person I’ve heard of with this issue. 

24 minutes ago, simplyj said:

repop purchased from CJ pony a while back.  

That's what I was afraid of; I purchased 2 of them from Mustangs Unlimited just before they closed down. I would think that there is only one manufacturer and mine will have the same issue. Good thing I got them cheap.

That’s more than likely your problem. I’m using the original FORD center link that came on my car. If you have an original steering box you could bolt it up and see if it fits with it. If it doesn’t line up your repop center link is the issue. I bet it won’t line up with it either and your center link wasn’t built with the correct angle. 

My repop manual CL fit and functioned perfectly with the factory steering box. All issues started with the borgeson box for me. Before buying the kit, I had read people's install notes and their satisfaction varied from little to complete satisfaction. Bad QC maybe?

10 minutes ago, lanky said:

My repop manual CL fit and functioned perfectly with the factory steering box. All issues started with the borgeson box for me. Before buying the kit, I had read people's install notes and their satisfaction varied from little to complete satisfaction. Bad QC maybe?

I have another center link on its way so will report back as to whether that solves the alignment problem.  Unfortunately, the car is a long way from being road worthy to test out the borgeson box

1 hour ago, simplyj said:

I have another center link on its way so will report back as to whether that solves the alignment problem.  Unfortunately, the car is a long way from being road worthy to test out the borgeson box

Would you you happen to know if that center link is a Scott Drake part? I ask because I have that part coming?   

I have the Borgeson set up on 2 cars, and it works fine.   On my '70, I used open tracker roller idler arm, and a factory Pitman arm and manual center link.   Some pics attached.  I had no alignment issues that I recall.

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_1559.thumb.jpg.a7e683f603fda262b900357bec30a642.jpg