Sign in to follow this  
Shep69

Progression Ignition

So my msd took a dump today and left we stranded. 

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these new progression ignition distributor setups good or bad . 

TIA 

I have no personal experience. A friend has a al6 & ready to run distributor in his kit cobra & has not had any issues with hit, unit is 10-15 years old. More & more often I read of the MSD hardware being less reliable that one was. In regards to the distributor its self the  magnetic pickup seems to be a very common failure these days.

5 hours ago, jmlay said:

I have no personal experience. A friend has a al6 & ready to run distributor in his kit cobra & has not had any issues with hit, unit is 10-15 years old. More & more often I read of the MSD hardware being less reliable that one was. In regards to the distributor its self the  magnetic pickup seems to be a very common failure these days.

I used a paper clip to check the msd box . That takes the magnetic pickup out of the equation. I replaced  the pickup just to make sure. 

The box definitely has intermittent spark issues. Coil checks out fine . 

Maybe it’s time to upgrade. 

I've so far had good luck with MSD 6ALN boxes.  I've never tried the basic 6A or 6AL boxes and I think (but not sure) they are made oversea.  I recently purchased another 6ALN for a new project and it is still made in USA.  Plus they should be installed in an area that gets good air flow for cooling and obviously as far from heat sources as possible.