jjstang

Epoxy question

Ok, I'm at the point where I'm stripping the car down to bare metal in prep to epoxy coat.  I'm looking from inside, around the top inner/outer wheel wells and wondering how the hell does one get in there to strip it down.  There's not much space to crawl in there.  What did people really do in there.  I'm thinking of using the master series silver in there because the prep requirements are not as stringent.  There's a lot of nooks and crannies where stripping to bare metal seems impossible.  Places where you couldn't get a blasters into.  Maybe chemical strippers, but I wanted to avoid that, especially in some of those tight spots you have to crawl into. What about the backside of inside doors and backside of inside the side kick panels.  I'll bet that made sense....

Am I trying to hard? 

Thanks for the replies....

The por-15 has been around a long time.  I mentioned the Master series primarily since their surface prep requirements are pretty lenient. 

I look at the Por-15 tech sheet and it said it can be used over rust but didn't say anything about cleanliness. It didn't mention  What spray gun tip? 

Are you using it as a replacement for epoxy?  The whole car?

But no one told me they are getting in to these tight spots.... (-:

I used the master series silver on the inner & outer wheel houses on my 69 Coupe. I brushed it on as best as I could reach from the trunk & from the interior with the seat & interior panels out of the way. I wish I had thought to do it when I was replacing the quarter skins.

I have used intergard 269 and painted the entire car with it, a lot of guys here in Aussie swear by it and a lot cheaper than most of the other brands.

I just saw this video showing the results of a salt fog test. I'm an engineer and love this sort of information. A salt test is used to accelerate the testing of paints and preps. It looks like he used an aquarium to make the chamber. We had about a 5'x3' chamber at work. This guy tests Por-15 and others. In the test he apparently tests Master Series Silver and their AG111 separately, and they both come out better than anything else. Master actually recommends that you use two coats of the Silver with one coat of AG111 on top. I wish he had done that just to show the results- it should have been the best by far. He says he followed the directions on the can so without those we can't be sure exactly what was done. The whole thing is worth watching, but at around 3 minutes he redoes the test using a better test method. Now you don't have to guess, you know which is best: