Sign in to follow this  
Phils69

Body Panels

Hello all,

It's been a while since I am posted. Since I have time on my hands now its time I finally start back on the stang. Body work is next. Has anyone used body panels from NPD lately? I am curious about their quality. I have a lot to buy and they are within a drivable distance so I would like to use them if the quality is good.

I used the improved design quarter on my 70 and the fit was way better than the standard repop.  I tried the cheaper (priced) one first and they fit terrible, so sold them and went with the improved version.  I used their doors and they fit pretty good but had to make some adjustments where the door handle fit (lock cylinder was too small and the handle hole was in the wrong place) and reshape the front edge of the door to fit the fender contour.  I also replaced a fender and the fit was ok, headlight bucket was a bit off (broke the spot welds and moved it) and the contour of the fender to the windshield trim is terrible.  I cut the edge that butts up to the windshield off my old fender and welded it to the new one.  

One thing you need to understand about most of the metal out there is that it is stamped by 1 or 2 companies in Taiwan.   It's branded by several different companies and sold as their own.  

Best advise is to talk to people that used the part you're looking to replace and get their honest feedback on how much work its going to take to make it fit.  All this metal will need some tweaking.

Thanks for the reply guys. I had my neighbor come over and take a look. He is the one thats going to be doing it, he is a body full time and on the side at home. I will need to buy the following:

Both quarters. he is going to cut below the right angle seam and replace down from there

Both door skins. He asked if it were possible to find replacement doors to reduce cost? I told him I doubted it 

The rear taillight panel

one of the rear corner moulding pcs . the ones made out of pot metal

The front bottom valence

I'll check on the Dynocorn 

5 hours ago, Phils69 said:

Both door skins. He asked if it were possible to find replacement doors to reduce cost? I told him I doubted it 

Good original may be hard to find but as far as I know, they make reproduction doors for 69 and 70.