Sign in to follow this  
bromsh

Interior paint match

Hello,

I'm painting the interior of my dad's 69 mustang, the Trim code is 2Y which is nugget gold.  I'm having a hard time finding a paint code from PPG for that color.  Does anyone have a code for 1969 nugget gold interior paint?

Thank you

2 hours ago, bromsh said:

Hello,

I'm painting the interior of my dad's 69 mustang, the Trim code is 2Y which is nugget gold.  I'm having a hard time finding a paint code from PPG for that color.  Does anyone have a code for 1969 nugget gold interior paint?

Thank you

My paint supply gal scanned my 69 nugget gold door panels to come up with the formula as the color was not available on charts she had. Also, I remember seeing spray can for nugget gold vinyl at summit, but it was not PPG.

I did have a can of nugget gold vinyl paint. If It’s still on my shelf you can have it. It’s an old can but still worked and is full. I’ll look this afternoon. 

3 hours ago, Kris said:

I did have a can of nugget gold vinyl paint. If It’s still on my shelf you can have it. It’s an old can but still worked and is full. I’ll look this afternoon. 

Kris, have you used vinyl paint on door panels or dash? If so, how does it hold up, does it last or peel in time? I need to get deluxe door panels and dye them nugget gold but worried about it not lasting on a daily driver.

I’ve painted some of my hard interior trim panels but haven’t I stayed them yet. It seems like it will hold up but time will tell. I do have some original seat hinge covers that were green originally but someone dyed them black. The paint seems to have held up on those. They were painted before I got them and have obviously been used and look fine. 

Not Kris, but I used the SEM dye from NPD and it's held up great. Here's a picture from 2011 and it still looks great today. My dash pad was black and I dyed it the red you see. Follow the directions and use the pre-dye prep product they sell with it.

DSCN1307.JPG

5 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

Not Kris, but I used the SEM dye from NPD and it's held up great. Here's a picture from 2011 and it still looks great today. My dash pad was black and I dyed it the red you see. Follow the directions and use the pre-dye prep product they sell with it.

Hi Phil, do you remember how many coats and how much dye did you use on the dash pad?

8 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Hi Phil, do you remember how many coats and how much dye did you use on the dash pad?

I recall spraying several very light "mist" coats and going over each one with a horsehair brush after it flashed to knock down the shine. I don't remember how many coats but it was a bunch. In total, I used less than one large can on the dash. The biggest complaint I have about the product was the color varied from batch to batch. Maybe not a big problem for some but it's really noticeable with red.

3 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

I recall spraying several very light "mist" coats and going over each one with a horsehair brush after it flashed to knock down the shine. I don't remember how many coats but it was a bunch. In total, I used less than one large can on the dash. The biggest complaint I have about the product was the color varied from batch to batch. Maybe not a big problem for some but it's really noticeable with red.

Thanks, I should better buy 2 cans for door panels and hope they will be from the same batch.