Machspeed

Factory Front Disc Brake Questions

I had considered going with a four wheel disc conversion (Previous Thread Posted) but after much thought have decided to stick with OEM set up of front disc brakes and rear drums. In this venture alone I'm left with many questions and some confusion. Also, in this particular area, I don't feel the need to spend a ton of cash. I'm going to order new single piston calipers through NPD however the area of uncertainty is in the rotors. One of my rotors could probably be turned, the other likely not. These are factory two piece rotors for which I believe I can press the studs out and separate the two pieces. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, please? I'm not finding many options for the rotors unless I go with a single piece rotor. I'm thinking I would like to just keep my factory rotor hubs and purchase new rotors to press unto my hubs, if you're following me here???

I found the following link and I think it my allow me to do what I'm talking about above: https://www.r1concepts.com/detail_catalog/index/r1-carbon-geomet-Series_eLINE-Series/ref=FORD+MUSTANG+1969+Front_Disc_BrakesSMCL_351_dna_390_Cubic_Inch_Engines+Front+Slotted_Rotor+silver+++    

They offer a smooth rotor like the OEM unit but also offer drilled and slotted options with coatings to keep down the rust. They don't offer the coatings for the smooth. I like that but I'm not sure that those drilled and slotted rotors would work with my OEM calipers and the OEM style pads. They do sell pads but not for my car. Thoughts on this?

Another concern I have should I go this route of buying just the rotors and pressing them onto my hubs, will there be some issues in balancing?

Thanks, 

John 

4 hours ago, Machspeed said:

I had considered going with a four wheel disc conversion (Previous Thread Posted) but after much thought have decided to stick with OEM set up of front disc brakes and rear drums. In this venture alone I'm left with many questions and some confusion. Also, in this particular area, I don't feel the need to spend a ton of cash. I'm going to order new single piston calipers through NPD however the area of uncertainty is in the rotors. One of my rotors could probably be turned, the other likely not. These are factory two piece rotors for which I believe I can press the studs out and separate the two pieces. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, please? I'm not finding many options for the rotors unless I go with a single piece rotor. I'm thinking I would like to just keep my factory rotor hubs and purchase new rotors to press unto my hubs, if you're following me here???

I found the following link and I think it my allow me to do what I'm talking about above: https://www.r1concepts.com/detail_catalog/index/r1-carbon-geomet-Series_eLINE-Series/ref=FORD+MUSTANG+1969+Front_Disc_BrakesSMCL_351_dna_390_Cubic_Inch_Engines+Front+Slotted_Rotor+silver+++    

They offer a smooth rotor like the OEM unit but also offer drilled and slotted options with coatings to keep down the rust. They don't offer the coatings for the smooth. I like that but I'm not sure that those drilled and slotted rotors would work with my OEM calipers and the OEM style pads. They do sell pads but not for my car. Thoughts on this?

Another concern I have should I go this route of buying just the rotors and pressing them onto my hubs, will there be some issues in balancing?

Thanks, 

John 

do you have a boss 302?

2 hours ago, nymustang1969 said:

Bendix and Raybestos still make the oem rotors. Rock Auto or Summit for best price. Couple that with a set of Porterfield pads and shoes for an excellent brake setup.

Thanks ny, but unless I overlooked them sure didn't see them there. They have Raybestos, Bendix and a few others, all Chinese stuff. 

You are probably over thinking this. Unless you are going to track your car the Bendix or Raybestos rotors will be fine. Everything is made in China. I was a mechanic for the NYPD for 32 years. That's all we used. And believe me no one is harder on a car than a cop, especially when it is not their personnel car.

17 minutes ago, nymustang1969 said:

You are probably over thinking this. Unless you are going to track your car the Bendix or Raybestos rotors will be fine. Everything is made in China. I was a mechanic for the NYPD for 32 years. That's all we used. And believe me no one is harder on a car than a cop, especially when it is not their personnel car.

Lol....yes, you are probably right! 

On 4/25/2020 at 7:45 PM, Machspeed said:

Thanks ny, but unless I overlooked them sure didn't see them there. They have Raybestos, Bendix and a few others, all Chinese stuff. 

Very sadly, most all of this type of stuff is from oversea.  Of those two, Raybestos is probably the better option.  You can also try NAPA auto parts,  Their brake parts are Raybestos even though they are repackaged for NAPA.

The rotors on my 69 Mach 1 are one piece. Factory front disk brakes.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:23 PM, nymustang1969 said:

And believe me no one is harder on a car than a cop, especially when it is not their personnel car.

Yup. Back in the 80's I asked one of the Bako PD garage mechanics how many miles the cop cars get on brakes and tires. He said 3-5k miles, but rarely did they go 5k.

21 hours ago, RPM said:

Yup. Back in the 80's I asked one of the Bako PD garage mechanics how many miles the cop cars get on brakes and tires. He said 3-5k miles, but rarely did they go 5k.

We did  Preventive Maintenance service on the cars every 4000 miles. Usually put on a set of pads because it would not make it to the next one without being metal to metal.

On 4/25/2020 at 11:39 AM, Machspeed said:

Thanks, 

John 

John,

I have a pair of new 69 Raybestos/Professionals Choice one piece stock OEM type rotors. I bought them 15 years ago for a 428 CJ Mach 1mustang I once owned, but I never used them. They  have been sitting in their box in my basement since. Nothing fancy, just pure stock. They are is perfect condition, no surface rust. I have no use for them. PM me if you want them.

1968-1969 Mustang Front Disc Rotor.jpg

20151114_143859.jpg

20170630_080947.jpg

Professionals Choice Ford Rotor Part# 6006R.png