Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Paint question for guys with convertibles

I’m coming to the end of my body work on my 69 convertible. All I really have left is fitment then filler, sanding and priming. My car is currently in fresh primer on all parts, interior and exterior. I’ve got the complete suspension finished also. I’m wanting to know from other convertible owners what all you painted and what all you left primed. My car had nearly everything painted body color. What color did you guys paint then cowl section that is under the vent grille. Also what all on the inside of the car and trunk did you paint body color? 

Not really. I’m trying to see what other vert owners have done to see which way I want to go. I would like to start installing my ac system but if I decide to paint the interior of the car body color I’ll have to wait. At the same time, nearly all of the interior will be covered so it doesn’t need to be painted. This is why im asking. Also interested in if you guys painted the outer cowl buckets behind the fenders or what you did. 

Are you going to use epoxy primer? If I use epoxy primer when I paint my 70 vert, I wouldn't paint the interior areas that are not visible and the cowl buckets; just a couple coats of exopy should be good for rust protection. I will paint the cowl under the grill as a lot of it will be visible through grill and paint inside the trunk.

I don't know what you mean by "cowl buckets", but if it is not a concourse car, and is just a show car, I paint the area under the header panel semi gloss black (which it should be anyway) and the entire fender inside and out, and the entire headlight housing inside and out.

If I was back at that stage I would add a little more support under the filler panel area to avoid flexing in that area

I painted my car 4 years ago and the only issue I have seen so far is the seam in this pic.  Everything was down to bare mettle, premiered, then seam sealer. 

The cracks first showed this spring and I'm sure it will only get worse. There is no filler in this area.

IMG_1043[1].JPG

IMG_1045[1].JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

To your paint questions, Jim Osborn reproductions inc. sells the assembly manual that will give locations of paint and sound deadener. It also gives assembly instructions. I bought both thinking I would 'restore' my 69 convertible. 

I changed my plan when I found how unimpressive my car would be if restored. Instead I decided to make it the car I wanted.  So I took liberty.237199799_IMG_10521.thumb.JPG.e455fc1f8e4efea0d6387a7ab83a4255.JPG1936481774_IMG_10531.thumb.JPG.25d38338250f90181084caf20441b140.JPG601104577_IMG_10461.thumb.JPG.ac54e9c47e158d756583a72ecc774d56.JPG

1329772508_IMG_10501.thumb.JPG.cb90dff65eeee5f58c46719b9b859284.JPG

The side of the cowl behind the wheel would be color paint but there is a splash shield that covers that area preventing anyone from seeing it. The rest of the wheel well gets blacked out.

1 hour ago, Mystang said:

If I was back at that stage I would add a little more support under the filler panel area to avoid flexing in that area

I painted my car 4 years ago and the only issue I have seen so far is the seam in this pic.  Everything was down to bare mettle, premiered, then seam sealer. 

The cracks first showed this spring and I'm sure it will only get worse. There is no filler in this area.

IMG_1043[1].JPG

An old timer body man told me to fill that gap with brass/silver braze and using a cut off wheel create the factory looking gap on filler metal so it won't crack later on.

Thanks guys that’s what I was looking for. Did any of you paint the bottom side of the cowl and foot panels inside the car or just primer since they will be covered anyways. Caseyrhe what part are you talking about painting I’m not sure what your taking about. 

Their is a plate that goes on item 4 which 2 bolt #D goes through and also one just above the door catch on the pillar for coupe and verts. So 2 on doors, 2 on pillar which the bolts for window adjustment bracket goes through.

2 hours ago, aslanefe said:

An old timer body man told me to fill that gap with brass/silver braze and using a cut off wheel create the factory looking gap on filler metal so it won't crack later on.

It won't crack it paintable sealer is properly used and the paint is properly applied.

6 hours ago, Mystang said:

I believe he's referring to part #4    Part of it shows through the slotted bolt holes in the door.250103619_IMG_10541.thumb.JPG.8aee964ce3cc862d88fb744c6d7cdeeb.JPG

Yes, part #4, it needs to be removed and painted not attached to the car. It adjust on the door itself, so in the event its painted in place and you need to move it up or down, it will not be painted underneath.

On 4/24/2020 at 9:26 PM, Kris said:

I’m coming to the end of my body work on my 69 convertible. All I really have left is fitment then filler, sanding and priming. My car is currently in fresh primer on all parts, interior and exterior. I’ve got the complete suspension finished also. I’m wanting to know from other convertible owners what all you painted and what all you left primed. My car had nearly everything painted body color. What color did you guys paint then cowl section that is under the vent grille. Also what all on the inside of the car and trunk did you paint body color? 

Kris, where was your Mustang built, & what was the build date?. Not all Mustangs were painted body color under the vent grille, it depends what model Mustang, when during the year it was built, & at which assembly plant it was built in whether it was black, or body color. I am repainting my Coupe the way it was originally done at the factory. Mine was painted yellow & it was built on 11/26/68 in Metuchen, NJ.

Mike, mine was built Nov 15,1968 in Dearborn, MI. My car was all original paint with the exception of the drivers rear quarter respray due to damage from a minor wreck in the 70’s from the previous owner. Mine was all body color basically everywhere except the engine bay which was black. Even above the pinch weld of the cowl in the engine bay was body color.