shelbyshelby

Door Pop Open Fix

To start with, I want to say I appreciate the sincerity of the folks on this forum. I get the vibe that the 69Stang family is here to help others. I can read sarcasm and get advice from other forums but prefer to come to 69Stang for information and good reads. So I’d like to contribute in a small way. I have been slowly restoring my 69 from a total disassembly. It’s always had this hesitation for the doors to pop open when the button is pushed. Even after thorough cleaning and lubing them. I always figured some of pop came from the rubber door seals. I saw a rubber bumper in the back of the door latch that looked worn, light bulb went off that piece may help pop the door. I guess before I thought it was a merely a door slam bumper. Sure enough I installed new ones from npd. Pretty simple to put in and now both doors pop open with authority even without the rubber seals installed (currently getting ready for paint). Pic shows the difference in the worn and the new bumper. 

6D7A2B7C-FBBE-4B10-A421-312140130BCD.jpeg

1 hour ago, shelbyshelby said:

To start with, I want to say I appreciate the sincerity of the folks on this forum. I get the vibe that the 69Stang family is here to help others. I can read sarcasm and get advice from other forums but prefer to come to 69Stang for information and good reads. So I’d like to contribute in a small way. I have been slowly restoring my 69 from a total disassembly. It’s always had this hesitation for the doors to pop open when the button is pushed. Even after thorough cleaning and lubing them. I always figured some of pop came from the rubber door seals. I saw a rubber bumper in the back of the door latch that looked worn, light bulb went off that piece may help pop the door. I guess before I thought it was a merely a door slam bumper. Sure enough I installed new ones from npd. Pretty simple to put in and now both doors pop open with authority even without the rubber seals installed (currently getting ready for paint). Pic shows the difference in the worn and the new bumper. 

You made me curious as those bumpers looked different and I looked at the bumpers on one of my 69s; the bumpers are solid blocks without the V notch like yours are. Is your car a 70?

Well I think both of my doors are original to my January 1969 built car. The drivers door should at a minimum be the original latch, least it had the original door tag in place with tight rivits. Also I ordered them for a 69, so i assume they are correct. Both sides were worn or shrunk maybe. I’ll post a pic later as I’m away at work. I can try to describe the location. If looking at your latch mechanism on the door side, where the latch grabs the striker. Look behind the latch (fingers that grab the striker), it should be right behind it nestled in the small area behind it. The only thing that holds it in is a single rubber tit on the end that sticks out of the latch. Simple install, a smallish straight screw driver pries out the old one. Hope I don’t confuse anybody. Pics coming in a few hours.