rittenrotton

Turn signal switch issue

Need some help...i rewired my 1970 coupe with the American Autowire kit about a year ago and recently replaced my turn signal switch with a new one from CJ pony parts; the problem is that the wire colors on the new turn signal switch don't match the OEM turn signal switch. (Yes, it is the correct switch for my 70, non tilt steering wheel). Everything works with the exception of the blinkers (but hazzards work). The other issue I'm experiencing is a short with the brake lights. With the turn signal switch installed and steering wheel removed, the brake lights work perfect. But when I install/attach the steering wheel, the brake lights short out. I can actually see the Sparks whenever I rotate the steering wheel. Any help solving these issues would be greatly appreciated!

20200420_124512.jpg

20200420_124442.jpg

Blinkers and brake lights are controlled by the cam on the left, and hazard switch is seperate  (on the right). Repop switches are not known to be of decent quality, looks like a short or no contact issue under the cam. Can you see where the spark is coming from? You may also have a pinched wire.

On earlier model Mustangs, the turn signal switch devices have rivit heads on the back of the TS switch, and these can contact the steering column (ground), shorting everything out.  I always advise folks to put a piece of electrical tape over anything metallic on the back sides of the TS switch.

5 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Blinkers and brake lights are controlled by the cam on the left, and hazard switch is seperate  (on the right). Repop switches are not known to be of decent quality, looks like a short or no contact issue under the cam. Can you see where the spark is coming from? You may also have a pinched wire.

I can't really see the exact spot as the steering wheel blocks my view but it looks like it coming from the area near the Hazzard switch. 

19 minutes ago, Midlife said:

On earlier model Mustangs, the turn signal switch devices have rivit heads on the back of the TS switch, and these can contact the steering column (ground), shorting everything out.  I always advise folks to put a piece of electrical tape over anything metallic on the back sides of the TS switch.

I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion!

5 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Also, try following the wires on both switches and make sure they start from the same connections and go to same spots on the connector.

I did but I feel like I need a wiring diagram for the ts to know exactly which wire is for which. I figured out the wires/connections for both horn wires, brake lights, Hazzard switch but it's the rest that I'm kind of lost. I tried guessing based on the wire colors on the camber of the ts switch but I obviously didn't get it right.

50 minutes ago, rittenrotton said:

I did but I feel like I need a wiring diagram for the ts to know exactly which wire is for which. I figured out the wires/connections for both horn wires, brake lights, Hazzard switch but it's the rest that I'm kind of lost. I tried guessing based on the wire colors on the camber of the ts switch but I obviously didn't get it right.

I have an original 70 switch on 70 column that I bought to use on my 70 vert. If you can't find a wiring diagram in a day or two message me and I will remove the switch and try to get you which wire goes into which pin on the connector.

Looking at the underdash harness side of the turn signal switch connector, with it concave down, the top row left to right is:

blue (turn signal flasher)

orange/blue (rear right turn signal)

green/red (rear left turn signal)

white/red (e-flasher signal)

yellow (horn input

On the lower row, left to right:

black (key reminder)

green (brake signal)

green/white (front left turn signal)

white/blue (front right turn signal)

blue/yellow (horn output)