bryonbush

grounding issue

I wrapped up the aaw install with the motor, efi, ac, electric fans etc.. today I was fighting getting the car started and come to find out, my fitech isn't getting enough grounding. I'll have to run a dedicated wire for that. No biggie..

BUT that got me thinking I may have other issues. I'm not tripping fuses, and everything works good. I have a massive new ground from battery to block. Then from block to firewall. All connections were cleaned to bare metal and new wires. The strap to the firewall is a smaller stand type from autozone. 

Either I need a better block/firewall strap or I need another block to frame, or both. I know there were some good examples on here before but now most pictures are gone. 

55 minutes ago, bryonbush said:

I wrapped up the aaw install with the motor, efi, ac, electric fans etc.. today I was fighting getting the car started and come to find out, my fitech isn't getting enough grounding. I'll have to run a dedicated wire for that. No biggie..

BUT that got me thinking I may have other issues. I'm not tripping fuses, and everything works good. I have a massive new ground from battery to block. Then from block to firewall. All connections were cleaned to bare metal and new wires. The strap to the firewall is a smaller stand type from autozone. 

Either I need a better block/firewall strap or I need another block to frame, or both. I know there were some good examples on here before but now most pictures are gone. 

I added a ground wire from the battery negative post to the radiator support under one of the bolts for the headlight housing on my 69.

I have a massive ground wire running from the front frame to the block, at the starter mounting bolt.

Also, I was on the phone with FiTech, and they admitted they did not properly ground their throttle body.  They suggested running a separate ground wire directly to the housing.   This is to ensure you have more than 10 volts to the FiTech white wire during cranking.   This has been causing hard starting issues...

Byron, let me know how it works out......

I couldn't sleep the other night after posting this so I went back out to work. I had a cable about the thickness of my finger from another project laying around. So I ran that from the back of the block to the frame rail where the metal is thicker. I then made a ground from the same spot in the block, to the grounding tab on the fitech. I also found that the wire I was using for 12v cranking was dropping to 4v at cranking. I switched that to the fuel pump wire in the aaw kit. Sucker started right up after that. 

Hey Byron. When I talked to FiTech, I asked them how to ground the EFI body. They suggested using one of these screws (see picture), or a self tapping screw into the small hole near the carb mounting studs.  How did you ground the EFI body?   

InkedIMG_3322 - Copy_LI.jpg

if you look at the unit, the mounting tab on the front right (Passenger side) itll have exposed metal. That is were the grounding is supposed to take place originally by that exposed metal tab being grounded by the bolt and intake bolt/stud. that's where I ran the ground wire to. I have never heard of having to drill into the unit or using that small screw.

Yeah, I see that now.  There is no powdercoat on the top of that tab, it is bare aluminum.  Interesting that the hold down bolt isn't a good enough ground.  Also interesting that nothing mentioned in the instructions.

Thanks!!