jrw69

Solenoid failures

Now getting ready to change my 3d solenoid. Any ideas on better made solenoids. My last 2 were bought at CJ Pony but don't last. When I turn the key there is nothing. If I hit on the solenoid with a screwdriver handle it will cut the current through and start. The relay or  plunger  in the solenoid must stick. The battery is fully charged so it isn't a battery issue. I assume it is the quality of the solenoids. My Mach 1 is a weekend driver and local car shows so I don't need a concourse looking solenoid. 1969 Mach with 351W.

Thanks

Are you sure it's the solenoid? I recently had similar symptoms and it turned out to be the ignition switch (Key). Have you tried jumping strait to the switch terminal on the solenoid? If it still doesn't start it points t the solenoid. If not, it may be the ignition switch.

1 minute ago, jrw69 said:

yes, new ignition switch last fall and have the same trouble. This points to solenoid since I can hit it with screwdriver handle and it cuts through and starts.

No worries, worth checking.

I don't think solenoid is the issue here. solenoid contain no moving parts , except a magnetic coil.  next time when not starting, jump a wire from battery to the ignition terminal on the solenoid see if that works. its more likely a lose wire connection some where.