Machspeed

I Need To Vent

As I sit here typing this, my hands are shaking and I'm filled with anger and rage. I'm trying to restore my Mustang and as such have been accumulating parts for it for years. With the exception of but a few small things, I have just about everything now. The car is fully taken apart and on a rotisserie now. I'm trying to do the mock up, as I'm changing a few things.  As my shop is small and my car is apart leaving me little room, I've been putting some parts in a storage unit in my home town. My car was once in there and I've had that unit for many years now. No one knows about it and when I visit it I try to guard the opening so no one can see in. Today I went there to check on some things and noted immediately that the lock that was on it was not the lock I used to secure it. Talk about a bad feeling. I cut the cheap lock that was on it, lifted the door and noted that my TKO 600 trans and all the other items need to make the conversion(car was previously an auto)  were gone. I just pulled the invoice on that purchase, $4,750. There may have been some other items taken, but the trans was the biggest financial part of it. I am sick to my stomach and mad as hell. I detest a thief and my hope is that somehow the pain this person has inflicted on me is returned to him ten fold.         

Faaarrrkkkk.  Yes you should be as mad as hell.

They had to know you had something in there.  The random thief doesn’t steal a TKO, someone knew you had it and went to the effort to disguise the robbery.

Thanks fellas. owner of facility didn't offer or say that he had insurance. I may ask him about it after I check into my homeowners. No cameras either. I didn't sleep at all last night, laid in bed thinking about what else was taken then realized I had my entire front suspension in there as well. This was stuff I purchased through Opentracker Racing....springs, shocks, roller perches, upper and lower control arms, and more.... high end stuff now all gone.  I went back up there at three am with a flashlight to confirm and it too is gone. Total taken from me is at least $7K. I am sick to my stomach. They took everything that was boxed and new with the exception of my Dynaflow exhaust system. I have engines in there and a bunch of old parts that I have collected over the years. Appears they did not touch that. I guess in that, I'm fortunate.  I've been collecting and buying parts to restore this car for years now and then this. I wonder sometimes if I will ever get this done.  

That is awful. I hope that you get some compensation from insurance. Its’s odd that they put a cheap lock on after breaking into your storage unit.  If you haven’t already, you might speak to the police to see if they have any information about this happening to other people.  I am really sorry this happened on you.

5 hours ago, Kris said:

That sucks. Do you have any idea on when your stuff was taken? Also where do you live? 

Hi  kris, I live in Wagoner. I have many feelers out including the Tulsa Mustang club, but I doubt I find these things. The police officer whom took my police report told me that breaking in to these storage units is the thing now that the statutes have been lowered. What was once a felony is now a misdemeanor thus making the risk of getting caught worth it. Don't you know, we have to keep our jails empty.....smart politicians! Life goes on, bump in the road.

I live in just west of Tulsa. I haven’t seen anything on fb market or cl in the Tulsa area. I’m on them pretty regular. I’ll keep an eye out and let you know if I see anything. I would bet that whatever lowlife took it all doesn’t even know what it is. 

1 hour ago, Kris said:

I live in just west of Tulsa. I haven’t seen anything on fb market or cl in the Tulsa area. I’m on them pretty regular. I’ll keep an eye out and let you know if I see anything. I would bet that whatever lowlife took it all doesn’t even know what it is. 

Thanks Kris. I've had my stuff in that storage place for over twenty years, my car was once in there. Never had a problem. I've always been careful about opening it up when people are around and usually block the front with my truck. There is, however, a Mex food restaurant right in front of my unit, not 25' away. It's relatively new and very busy. The back door of the kitchen faces my unit. There has been a time or two most recently were they were sitting out back smoking and could have seen in the unit. I mentioned that in my police report. But yeah, suspect whoever broke in doesn't know what they have. 

I am surprised the storage unit has no camera's.  You would think that it would be required by their insurance.  

This really sucks.  We all need to keep an eye out for stuff on Ebay, etc....

Yeah, I'm really hosed in this. Owner of the storage facility takes no liability. I have a good friend who is an insurance agent and he thought my homeowners would cover it. In fact, he was sure that they would provide some coverage. He asked for my policy and after review said that they really covered themselves in this, meaning they won't pay. Most insurance company's would. I gotta tell ya, AAA homeowners just flat out sucks! I've had other issues in the past and they cover nothing.  Gotta read that fine print!

Thanks fellas, appreciate the sympathy. I suppose things could be far worse....ie. car stolen! 

Wow Rich, what can I say! That is incredibly kind of you and I am deeply touched by it but I would feel, for lack of better words, uneasy in it. Uneasy in that I make a good living and there are others out there with projects that only wish they could afford some of the things I lost. In time, I will re-coupe what I lost. In fact, I've already spoken with both Modern Driveline and Opentracker Racing and I think they are going to help me out a little in cost of replacing the stolen parts. Between that and what you offered, I am moved that there are still very good people out there. I probably don't need to tell you, but when something like this hits you, you become cynical, negative, and lacking in trust of others. I don't want to be that way. Your offer lifts my spirit. And btw, I am grateful for your presence on this forum. The builds you post here and your tutorials provide a wealth of knowledge to guys like me and I know it must take a ton of time out of your day to provide those things. You give a lot when you do that and I appreciate you for it. Thank you so much! 

1 hour ago, mustangstofear said:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6&version=NIV  

This is the way Michele and I prefer to give :)

Yes! And, if you scroll down just a littler further in that passage,  you'll find this:  “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."

This Mustang of mine is very dear to me and sometimes I wonder about that. It was my first car, my father helped me acquire it and I have good memories with it. I turned 60 at the beginning of this year and I've not driven it since 1983. It was weird turning 60, no other birthday has bothered me as much as this one. Knowing that most of my life was over with and wondering how much I have left and thinking about what I have and have not done. Lots of thoughts.  One of those thoughts was would I ever drive the Mustang again. Would I finish it before I pass this life. I think about those thoughts and the above scripture and think that perhaps I put too much into something that I will leave behind one day. I saw this the other day while I was feeling sorry for myself, "life is not about what we consume, but what we give away". Thanks for giving, Rich!  

On 4/23/2020 at 9:25 AM, Machspeed said:

Yeah, I'm really hosed in this. Owner of the storage facility takes no liability.

You may want to talk to a lawyer just to see if you have any recourse with the facility. I'm sure you signed an agreement that says "the owner of the facility assumes no liability" but there is such a thing as "reasonable expectations". It is reasonable to expect a storage facility to be secure against fire and theft, etc.

19 hours ago, 69RavenConv said:

You may want to talk to a lawyer just to see if you have any recourse with the facility. I'm sure you signed an agreement that says "the owner of the facility assumes no liability" but there is such a thing as "reasonable expectations". It is reasonable to expect a storage facility to be secure against fire and theft, etc.

69Raven, thank you. I already have and he verified what you stated. I called the lawyer just to see if the owner's insurance might cover it. That aside, I can't go there. The owner goes to my Church, he's a good man and frankly, while the law green lights it, I'd seriously struggle with it. 

21 minutes ago, latoracing said:

I'm sorry for the issues that you're having to go through. I love the verse Rich sent to you, along with his generosity, that is a wonderful blessing to share. 

Thank you, Mike. Yes, indeed it is.  

On 4/24/2020 at 8:29 AM, Machspeed said:

Yes! And, if you scroll down just a littler further in that passage,  you'll find this:  “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."

This Mustang of mine is very dear to me and sometimes I wonder about that. It was my first car, my father helped me acquire it and I have good memories with it. I turned 60 at the beginning of this year and I've not driven it since 1983. It was weird turning 60, no other birthday has bothered me as much as this one. Knowing that most of my life was over with and wondering how much I have left and thinking about what I have and have not done. Lots of thoughts.  One of those thoughts was would I ever drive the Mustang again. Would I finish it before I pass this life. I think about those thoughts and the above scripture and think that perhaps I put too much into something that I will leave behind one day. I saw this the other day while I was feeling sorry for myself, "life is not about what we consume, but what we give away". Thanks for giving, Rich!  

Well said, hits really close to home.