Mystang

Who has RetroSound® Radio, and how happy are you?

About 2 years ago I installed a RetroSound® Hermosa Radio.  

It stopped working this spring. It just dose nothing, all the sudden. I don't know if it's worth paying to have it repaired or not. 

Who has a RetroSound, and what kind of feedback can you give?

I just installed one 3 weeks ago so I can't comment on its durability. The sound improvement over the aftermarket head unit that was there was significant but it's no B&O, but a lot of that is speakers. When I was doing my research on what to put it in the general impression I got was the the units were pretty decent quality.

If you decide to go the repair route please post back so we know how reasonably they are.

I called them and left a message, they called me back, I'm not impressed.

The told me they don't repair the unit but If I want to send it to them in Las Vegas, they would "test it"     'if it stops working , buy a new one.'

I can buy a Kenwood head unit for the price of another RetroSound.  So I'm asking if I got a lemon and it's a fluke.

Anyone out there had a similar experience or is this just bad luck?

Hi mate, I fitted a Retro Sound Long Beach about 2 years ago. Very happy with it. The blue tooth phone works very well even over the engine noise. I looked at modern brands but for me I preferred a radio that looks original to the average Joe.

I will say it looked original and I loved the Bluetooth. However it was a little underpowered. 

Yes I checked the fuse, and after they told me they couldn't repair it I opened it up and found nothing repairable or suspicious. 

I'm going to invite a few of the members who installed years ago to chime in.

I installed a Retrousound (Malibu model 2) in my 69 when I restored it back in 2014. To this day, it has worked amazingly. The hand free Bluetooth phone function is amazing. I can speak to people with my windows opened and they don’t hear the engine/exhaust (2”5 Flowmaster dual). The mike just pics my voice. Amazing...

I love this product. Only downside: the installation is a little tricky if you want to really do it right and best integrate the unit in your interior. Once that’s done, it does look very stealth to the untrained eye.

G

Hi All;  I installed a RetroSound Model Two in March of 2015.  It works great, I am very happy with it. I have two Pioneer power amps mounted on a custom aluminum plate mounted behind the back set in the trunk.  Four focal speakers hidden in the dash. a JL Audio micro sub in the trunk and two Boston Acoustics 6x9's in the package tray.  No power issues here.  Before you send it back, with a voltmeter make sure you have 12 volts min connected main power to the radio. check the fuses.  Make sure the accessory wire is getting 12 volts min at the radio.  Make sure you have the ground wire properly grounded.  If all that is good, I would get a replacement. Alan    

It was suggested elsewhere that perhaps a speaker wire went to ground. I checked them and they checked out fine. All of the wiring is as it should be. 

I'm thinking this failure is an unusual event, in light of the reports other owners have had over the years.

If anyone has anything to add before I order a replacement, I would appreciate it.

A lot of electronic stores have guys working as sales staff who know a lot about electronics as well, maybe an idea to visit one or two to find out if they can have a look at it for you.Worth a try before shelling out for a new one.

2 hours ago, Mystang said:

It was suggested elsewhere that perhaps a speaker wire went to ground. I checked them and they checked out fine. All of the wiring is as it should be. 

I'm thinking this failure is an unusual event, in light of the reports other owners have had over the years.

If anyone has anything to add before I order a replacement, I would appreciate it.

Do you have old electronics repair shops left around you or know someone who tinkers with electronics? I know an old timer who fixes radios etc but he is in Europe and don't know if it is worth shipping it for him to check it out and see if he can fix it.

Europe might be out of reach but I would let someone with more experience than I take a look.

If there is anyone in the N.E. PA area that would be interested , I'm open to that.

I have found a replacement "body" for the Retrosound. 

It turns out you can buy the radio without the display, bezel, and install kit for about half the cost that I payed for the whole thing originally.  Just under $150 with shipping.

I'll be able to simply plug in the new one and go.

I'll let you all know how this works out when it comes.

My order through a vender on eBay was canceled and I can't get an explanation. Now the item is no longer listed. It must have been a mistake on the listing.

So I'm reweighing my options.

I did replace the unit with a Custom Autosound radio that has a ISO plug, so it basically just plugged in with no rewiring.  I got the model that doesn't have bluetooth but it has an aux cord witch I ran into the glove box so I can plug in my phone and leave it in there when I play Pandora. I can live without taking calls in the car. If I needed that option I would have payed another $100 and got the upgrade.

It looks as close to stock as the retrosound and at this point I'm not going for 'original' look anyway.    It's funny how your goals change as your project progresses.