Sign in to follow this  
redmastercraft

Thoughts on how to metal work this door

I have a 70 with the original fender in great shape and an aftermarket door.  The top bevel of the door is not as sharp as the original so it is causing a bit of a gap you can see in the first picture.  The second image is looking down at the area that needs to be worked.  Would you split the door down the crease line and bring both sides up to meet the fender or is there a better way?

20200417_151321.jpg

20200417_151337.jpg

2 hours ago, redmastercraft said:

It's about 1/8 to 1/4 down at the crease but I'll give it a try.  Worse case I'll split it, move it around, then weld it up.

How does the bevel of the door match to the quarter panel assuming your quarter is original.

Most of the sheet metal you buy will need to be aligned/body worked to match the other panels (unless you have NOS or undamaged used parts). When ypu say split, do you mean separate the skin from the door frame? If so, you can pull the bevel out without separating the skin from the frame. I assume when you say bevel, you mean the body line on the door that follows the crest of the fender. Get yourself a profile gauge if you don't have one. You can copy the profile of the non-matching area from the door on the other side or from someone else's door and match your door to that profile. That way you don't have to remove and install the fender as much to check fit.

Correct, bevel to the hard body line in the upper portion of the door.  Who knows what the technical name for it is.  Looks like a crease to me.  Either way I'm getting a contour gauge and I'll match the fender.  What I mean by split the door is to take a body saw and cut right down the crease.  Move the metal where I need it to go then weld it back up.  I took the door off yesterday and I'll be able to move it around enough with a body hammer.  Just need to wait for the contour gauge...

Thanks for the help

1 hour ago, redmastercraft said:

Correct, bevel to the hard body line in the upper portion of the door.  Who knows what the technical name for it is.  Looks like a crease to me.  Either way I'm getting a contour gauge and I'll match the fender.  What I mean by split the door is to take a body saw and cut right down the crease.  Move the metal where I need it to go then weld it back up.  I took the door off yesterday and I'll be able to move it around enough with a body hammer.  Just need to wait for the contour gauge...

Thanks for the help

Yes, work it without cutting; if you cut, you will warp the panel when you weld it back if you are not a good welder/body man.