Viperpete

Electric power steering

I grafted a Prius column on to my 69 column. Cut a section out of the middle part of 69 column, cut some from both ends of Prius column and joined them together. Using it in fail safe mode without any sensors so I have constant assist instead of variable assist. Using stock turn signal switch, stock rim blow steering wheel, stock 16/1 steering box with rag joint. I have not done a 70 column yet, will make one for one of my 70s eventually. Grafting the Prius to 70 column will be more involved due to the ignition switch and shifter lock out being on the column. I used my lathe to machine the shafts to fit each other and keep them true while welding.

Or you can buy a generic one with a generic column, a few vendors sell them. Don't know how ignition switch, steering wheel, wiring etc are handled on these generic ones.

1 hour ago, jerrycordova93 said:

How does the prius unit in fail safe do with the tighter 16:1 ratio box? How's it feel at low and high speeds? I really hope you see this post!

It feels like the original PS.

2 hours ago, jerrycordova93 said:

Oh good! I'm almost done doing the prius install in mine but was afraid that with the quicker steering box ratio, and the prius unit fail safe mode being 50% assist, that it would still be heavy steering at low parking lot speeds.

Not much effort needed while parking, can steer with one hand and I am not a body builder.