copb8

Removing Steering Lock Pin

I have an aftermarket steering wheel and hub. The hub has no provision for the steering lock that is standard on the car. The problem is that the contact plate on the aftermarket hub that contacts the horn pins is too large in diameter and the locking pin from the ignition switch barely contacts the edge of it when the ignition switch is in the lock position. This can create a short on the horn plate and blows the horn fuse.

My plan was simply to pull the locking pin, which is spring loaded, completely out and store it with my original wheel. Simple enough. Nope.

I have the wheel off and there doesn't seem to be a way to pull the pin. I removed the collar that surrounds it thinking that would release it but it doesn't. I then pulled the ignition switch and the retaining clip and drive gear that move the pin and up and down thinking that would release it. Nope again.

Now I'm not sure how to get it out? Or even it this is the best approach?

Thoughts?

I found the part I'm referring to

Ignition Linkage

It appears that I'd need to disconnect the actuator arm and slide the cast piece out the bottom of the slide it's in? Then remove the snap ring and locking pin?

Can this be done without removing the steering column?

I have an aftermarket wheel also, but have a hub adaptor, so don't have the horn ring issue.  I don't think you can remove it, as on the '70's, I am pretty sure that actuator arm goes to the column mounted ignition switch. I would take a Dremel with a little cut off wheel and cut that tab off on the top side.   

After trying to save it and dropping the column your 100% correct, the slide is connected to the ignition switch  via pressed in pin. Too much work to save that little pin so I did exactly what you suggested and just cut the tip off with my Dremel.

Thanks