GSEninja

Remove stuck louver insert

Got the car back from paint today, went to install the louver and one of the screws gripped and then kept spinning, chipped the paint real good!

I had to pull up on the screw with a pair of needle noses while unscrewing to get it out. 

Problem is, now I can't get the insert out at all. I tried drilling it, it just spins. I tried reinserting the screw and pulling up, nada.

Thankfully I have a new install kit (once I get this out), and I can take the car back to the shop to fix the paint.. I'm just at a loss on how to get this thing out! Any suggestions?

20200414_175506.jpg

20200414_175518.jpg

You can carefully grind the flange of the rivnut and push it in; you might be able to retrieve the piece that falls down or just leave it. Then install a new rivnut into same hole. I would touch up the paint before I install the new rivnut.

I do have a dremel with a grinding bit.. I'll try that before breaking out the big guns.

And yeah, I'll have the paint shop touch it up before reinstalling the rivnut

(thanks for the proper term, couldn't remember what they were called!)

19 minutes ago, GSEninja said:

I do have a dremel with a grinding bit.. I'll try that before breaking out the big guns.

And yeah, I'll have the paint shop touch it up before reinstalling the rivnut

(thanks for the proper term, couldn't remember what they were called!)

You do not need to take the car to the paint shop to touch it up. The area will be covered by the hinge, so a drop or two of any color paint or even superglue will do. You will not need big guns,  grinding off the flange is the easiest way to remove a spun rivnut if you can't re-squeze it.

1 hour ago, aslanefe said:

You do not need to take the car to the paint shop to touch it up. The area will be covered by the hinge, so a drop or two of any color paint or even superglue will do. You will not need big guns,  grinding off the flange is the easiest way to remove a spun rivnut if you can't re-squeze it.

Got it, thank you. I do have the leftover paint from them spraying it, I'll apply a bit with a small brush

4 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Before I would cut it out I would run a tap through it first,  then use your tool and try to reset it .

I cant get a tap in there without the thing spinning, but i might be able to get enough of the threads to re-seat it. Thanks! for some reason never thought about the re-seat

8 hours ago, mustangstofear said:

Before I would cut it out I would run a tap through it first,  then use your tool and try to reset it .

Thanks MTF! This worked. I was able to grab 2 threads with the tool and pull it up just enough to grab a couple more threads.. all sandwiched together now