Print Dad

SHROUD - part two

Hello ALL,

This is another goofy thread - but I am stuck.

So I think I am getting a new radiator  - that is part one - I will keep the old as a backup

SO my newest issue is regarding the shroud - - -

I would like something that looks like a factory part.

So here is my dilema - - - and some more info

CURRENTLY - 70 Mach 1 - 351C -no air and standard trani

The issue may be that I installed an 18 inch clutching fan - many years ago.

So of you will know I have owned the car about 43 years.

ISSUE  2 - TROUBLES

I purchased a shroud - but it looks AWFUL at the top near the upper tank.

In my other radiator post - several people sent pictures - - I will attach - what I think looks good and would like.

The other picture is f the shroud that I purchased - the shroud is attached to the radiator which is out  of the car.

I had made a shroud and can use that but mywife wants to get rid of the non stock items.

MY problem now is I don;t want to spend 75-100 for something that doesn't fit or look good.

I know someone with a 24 inch radiator must have installed a 18 inch clutching fan.

PLEASE _ I know everyone is busy but I sure would like to make some progress on this

As a last note  - -the car NEVER overheated this issue started after I started motor after winter sleep and 

noticed a leak at top of the core,

FIGURES - -351C - outlet on driver side - - - 24 inch radiator - core is 16 by 24 inches and 2.5 thick at core -  Fan is a 18 inch clutching

Thanks - you can't imagine how tuff this has been

I like the top of pix 1 and 2 - pix 3 is my shroud which looks awfull

Sam

PIX 1.jpg

PIX 2.jpg

PIX 3.jpg

On a small block (and 351C) I don't think you will find a stock or stock repro fan shroud that will work with an 18" fan.  I have a 17-1/4" clutch fan on my 351W.  I managed to find the fan on eBay then purchased a new clutch from NAPA auto parts.  It fits with the stock shroud.  I believe Derale makes a 17" fan for a fan clutch setup.  It looks original.

The shroud in your last picture fits terribly.  It almost looks upside down on the radiator.

Hello 1969 Mach1

I may be wrong on the width of my fan - but a quick measure I thought was 18inches

I agree the 3 shroud picture is what I bought a long time ago from CJ - -it is a Drake product   but looks like crap.

I was thinking maybe the big block motors with 24 inch radiator would fit an approx 18" fan.

I hope the sun comes out tomorrow and I will try to get a better measurement

As I mentioned the 3rd ppix is me with the shroud up against the radiatoy with just the top 2 screws - -but it stinks

7 minutes ago, Print Dad said:

Hello 1969 Mach1

I may be wrong on the width of my fan - but a quick measure I thought was 18inches

I agree the 3 shroud picture is what I bought a long time ago from CJ - -it is a Drake product   but looks like crap.

I was thinking maybe the big block motors with 24 inch radiator would fit an approx 18" fan.

As I mentioned the 3rd ppix is me with the shroud up against the radiatoy with just the top 2 screws - -but it stinks

Sam, I do not understand what you do not like about the shroud you have; it looks like my original 1970 shroud I posted pictures on your other post. I have a fan that is a little over 17" dia with clutch. The opening on that shroud is 18 7/8 inches, it will be tight to fit an 18" fan. The shroud have 2 openings for the top radiator support, and you can see the support installed on my pictures.

2 hours ago, Print Dad said:

Hello 1969 Mach1

You are correct that a big block would have an 18" fan and the appropriate shroud.  I don't know if that combination will fit on a small block car.

I vaguely recall West Coast Classic Cougars having a short video on original fans/radiators/and shrouds.  It might be worth searching to get a better idea of what combinations fit together.

On 4/13/2020 at 6:15 PM, 1969_Mach1 said:

It almost looks upside down on the radiator.

Oooooh!! could that be the case???  Sam, you said your radiator entrance/exits are on the drivers side of the car, could it be you have a shroud designed for radiators like mine that have pipes on passenger side, but it fits upside down on your radiator?  I realize I am really reaching here....

On 4/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, Print Dad said:

So I think I am getting a new radiator  - that is part one - I will keep the old as a backup 70 Mach 1 - 351C -no air and standard trani

The issue may be that I installed an 18 inch clutching fan.

I purchased a shroud - but it looks AWFUL at the top near the upper tank.

MY problem now is I don;t want to spend 75-100 for something that doesn't fit or look good.

I know someone with a 24 inch radiator must have installed a 18 inch clutching fan.

the car NEVER overheated.

I like the top of pix 1 and 2 - pix 3 is my shroud which looks awfull

1. Since you have a manual trans, both the radiators I have will work.

2. Yes, it is.

3. The 69 vs 70 BOSS 302 shrouds for 24" rads may be different.

4. If the 70 shroud is different you may be able to use that one.

5. Yes, then they took it right back out because it hit the shroud.

6. Then it won't overheat with the correct smaller fan.

7. I think your photos 1 and 2 are a 69 shroud.

1970 Boss 302 and 70 351 cleveland fan shroud.

Ford-Mustang-Boss-302-Engine-740x493.jpg