CarZombie

Autolite 4300 carb question

I am rebuilding my 4300  DOOF-AD carb for a 1970 Mustang with 351C, 4 barrel heads, AC and Automatic trans.  As I was taking the carb apart a small ball dropped out of the main body.  I am using a Dayton Parts rebuild kit and neither their exploded view/parts list, nor my shop manual's exploded view, shows this ball.  However, the ball is in the Dayton Parts kit.  I have an email  on this question to them, but I am hoping for an answer this weekend, so I can  get the rebuild finished and on the car.  It is NOT the accelerating pump inlet ball check (that's straight out of the Ford shop manual). The picture labeled Pic 2 questioned ball shows the ball in question. I believe it goes into an orifice next to the orifice that the accelerator pump discharge valve goes into. The photo labeled Picture 3 show a wooden pointer pointing to were I think this ball goes.  The photo labeled Picture 3 is an overview of the top of the main body.    If anyone can confirm my thoughts or give me more information on proper placement of this ball, I would appreciate it.

PS. Sorry about the picture label mix-up.   

Pic 2 Questioned ball.JPG

Pic 3.JPG

Pic 4.JPG

That is a "check" ball and the cylindrical thing is a check ball "weight".   Some of the smaller carbs like the one barrels have several of these.  The ball goes in first, the weight on top of it. I think they were used to prevent reverse flow around the accelerator pump or power valve locations, but not 100% sure.

The 4300 is not a great carb.  Due to emissions, they changed the design frequently.  The 4100 is a much better design.   There is a lot of info on trying to tune these 4300's available out there.  Good luck.  If you want to keep the car original, I understand.  If you want to run, choose a good aftermarket carb and you will be much happier.

barnett468 and Vicfreg, thanks for the replies.  barnett468 was correct, the ball went where I was pointing.  The folks that sold me the carb rebuild kit, called me and confirmed this.  Sorry for the slow reply.   Just my luck, I put the crab back together and found that I let the throttle auxiliary lever get out of position so it would  correctly interact with the throttle stop lever and other parts of the choke linkage.  I had to pull the throttle body off the main body and one of the thread holes in the main body stripped.  So now I have to do a thread repair before I can see if my rebuild went well.  

I ended up rebuilding mine twice. It would not idle right after first rebuild.

Second time I used pieces of piano wire to clean all of the small ports which solved the problems. When possible I used a brazing torch tip cleaner which is designed to clean the brazing tips for oxygen/acetylene torches.  The kit has many different size wires which act as files.

Using the carb cleaner itself was not enough for a 50 year old carb.

Just because you have flow when you spray the carb cleaner through a port does not mean it is open enough to run properly. If you have an old carb, before you put it back together you may want to do the same.

Just wanted to let every one know that I installed the carb on my Mustang about two weeks ago.  It fired right up on fast idle.  Once warm I adjusted the idle screws to get a smooth idle and drove it.  No problems.  Easy.   I want to thank Daytona Parts Company for the carb kit and more importantly Tim at Daytona Parts for all the tech help he provided to me before and during the rebuild process.   I also want to mention that I used a new float in this rebuild from Mike's Carburetor Parts.  Never had to call them, but the float fit right and seems to be working.  Hopefully it will end the problem I had with the old float taking on gas and screwing up the float level.    I have no interest in these business just hope that some one, some day finds this thread helpful.  

The 4300 doesn't get a lot of love, but when sorted out it runs great. I have one on my 69 M code and it took some fiddling but it seems to be running great now. I had a buddy years ago with a 68 302 coupe and that car ran super with a 4300 on it. So yes I am a fan of the 4300.