sixt9stang

Wiring harness through firewall

How do you get the wiring harness pulled through the firewall?  I am working on stripping everything out of the engine bay and off the firewall to do some fixing and painting and for the life of me I can get the wiring grommet pulled through.  Do I need to just push it out through one side?

hXfAuUV.jpg

Start at one point with a flat screwdriver and push the part next to the firewall towards the center.  Push it towards the center and then the flap into the hole.  From there, work your way around the circle.

Or...with a good dremel, cut a large square around the entire grommet on the firewall and push in.  I'd recommend a hole punch, but that might ruin your wires.

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

Rewire? I'm pretty sure that Midlife guy who posted above has a contact in refurbished wiring harnesses. Pretty darn reasonable on the pricing as well. 

Thanks. I am starting to look at the different harnesses. Anyone used a harness from Ron Francis?

I debated the Ron Francis harness(es) but opted for the AAW option.  I got a great deal on a NIB kit off ebay - it was almost half off.  I couldn't pass it up.

I'm doing some sheetmetal work and paint in my interior and trunk and engine bay before I wire mine.  I plan to put the battery and solenoid in the trunk immediately behind the rear seat.

I've followed @Vicfreg and @Mike65 as they've also used the AAW harness and have done several similar mods as I'm trying to do.

Nate

Heres my advice.  Just pull all your wiring and send it to MidLife for rework.  All the connectors will be original (AND THEY WILL WORK). buying rewiring kits, and mainly the BS associated with making them work is stupid as long as MidLife is around.   Don't re-wire you car - just get MidLife to fix it.  Probably less cost... 1000% easier!

3 hours ago, JayEstes said:

Heres my advice.  Just pull all your wiring and send it to MidLife for rework.  All the connectors will be original (AND THEY WILL WORK). buying rewiring kits, and mainly the BS associated with making them work is stupid as long as MidLife is around.   Don't re-wire you car - just get MidLife to fix it.  Probably less cost... 1000% easier!

Thanks.  I might touch base with him.

That's part of the underdash harness that pokes out into the engine compartment for: engine gauge feed harness, neutral safety switch/backup switch, PRDNL lamp feed, wiper feed, and optional AC feed.

1. PRNDL lamp

2. AC clutch (if wire is green).  Can't tell from the picture which colors 1 and 2 are; they could be reversed.

3. Engine gauge feed (coil, oil, temp)

4. NSS/Backup switch

5. Wipers.