bigmal

Suspension rubber installation question

Hi all, As part of my lock down i have decided to restore my diff housing and leaf springs. 

When installing the new rubbers on the springs and sway bar, what lubrication, if any, do you recommend?

I used silicone grease when I initially installed the sway bar and it became very squeaky after a few weeks.

Also, for the leaf spring front bushing do you recommend conventional rubber?

Thanks, Mal.

8 hours ago, whoapony said:

I ran poly on mine, super easy to install and the ride feels great!  The kit comes with the grease to run as well so nothing extra to buy.

Hi mate, thanks for this. Unfortunately I bought rubber bushes yesterday. 

Any suggestions on lubricant, if any?

Silicone based or white lithium for rubber. Both will penetrate the outer layer of the butyl (without wearing it down) and prevent the squeaking. Do not use petroleum based lubricants on rubber, it WILL cause premature break-down.

Poly bushings are stronger long term, but they will squeak a lot more if not properly lubricated. For poly, use petroleum or oil based

14 minutes ago, GSEninja said:

Silicone based or white lithium for rubber. Both will penetrate the outer layer of the butyl (without wearing it down) and prevent the squeaking. Do not use petroleum based lubricants on rubber, it WILL cause premature break-down.

Poly bushings are stronger long term, but they will squeak a lot more if not properly lubricated. For poly, use petroleum or oil based

Great, thanks