Caseyrhe

70 Landau Coupe Special

Bought this car last year for 400.00, as a parts car. After getting it home and getting the 4 five gallon buckets worth of old acorns, rat and squirrel crap, and ?? it looked to good to part her out. When I got brave enough to take out the back seat and venture into the trunk, there I found the rest of the interior pieces, exterior trim,  light buckets, and another 2 five gallon buckets of nuts and crap. I stripped her down, went thru all the wiring, and got all the electrical working. I replaced the drivers side floor pan and off to paint and body she went. Rust was minimal, with just a few patches in the normal rusted out spots and a new used top of course. She came home today. 

CE481386-BAEF-4467-B7FD-91E8C087C024.png

BDD2468F-AEB3-4E86-86A2-A7D505E52C7D.png

0AFC9FA7-9C4D-44B6-8170-80C7474BE431.jpeg

557A57E9-397E-4678-8A95-2F000FFD5880.jpeg

35B83EF7-FDF2-4AB6-B246-A9797D6EFC61.jpeg

14D55C29-5619-4749-A454-485E8E20BB4F.jpeg

E7D24CAC-B043-4456-83A5-D81957AA5CC4.png

8761D8F9-BB04-4AA4-A0B0-566B31C28B96.png

C1F7FBBD-D815-41AB-9915-A162FE0A7A61.png

The front suspension was also rebuilt before she went to paint. 
I was able to pick up a period correct replacement Std bore 390 block, had it machined, and almost have it complete. Added some 428 heads, Edelbrock intake and C6 has been rebuilt. 

AA2D2993-41C1-44F0-9394-F275A4C5EA8E.jpeg

Isn't that a Grande? My 70 Grande has the Landau top too. Just FYI, as far as I know the tail light panel is black between the chrome strips and I think that will look good with your blacked hood. I like the Grande upholstery as it has cloth inserts instead of vinyl.

Casey you made a Great decision not to part it out.Great to see another 70 Landau Grande (rare ,not many still around) being restored.Looking forward to seeing more photos of your restoration progress.Well done,Cheers Phil 

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 10:13 PM, aslanefe said:

Isn't that a Grande? My 70 Grande has the Landau top too. Just FYI, as far as I know the tail light panel is black between the chrome strips and I think that will look good with your blacked hood. I like the Grande upholstery as it has cloth inserts instead of vinyl.

Yes, its a Grande. Planning on installing the honeycomb panel on the back. Going back with black vinyl high back seats, figured that would be better on my neck with the big block.

Any ideals on where one might find some rocker panel moldings, haven't found any re-pops?

4 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

Yes, its a Grande. Planning on installing the honeycomb panel on the back. Going back with black vinyl high back seats, figured that would be better on my neck with the big block.

Any ideals on where one might find some rocker panel moldings, haven't found any re-pops?

70 Grande seats are high back, only difference is, the middle inserts are hounds tooth cloth  instead of vinyl. Very comfy, your butt is not cold in winter and sweaty in summer like vinyl inserts.They reproduce the 70 Grande upholstery in black and ginger. This is the link to 70 Grande upholstery.  The 69 Grande seats are low back with head rest with cloth inserts.

They do not reproduce 70 Grande rocker mouldings (not a lot of Grandes built). They are 70 Grande only and very different, it is 3-4 inches wide like 70 Cougar moulding with blacked out middle part (it looks like it has rubber strip on it) I have not seen the rocker moulding in person (mine was/is missing), seen only pictures of them on Ford advertisement documents. You have to find a used set (which I have not seen on fleabay) or find some one who can make a set. I believe originals are made from aluminum. May be @v8ford70 has his rocker mouldings and post some pictures and give more info about them.

Casey mine also need polishing & black replaced, I found on YouTube if you type in           1970 Mustang Aluminum Rocker Panel Trim Repair       you will see one being removed & pollished.Cheers Phil

Just FYI, by sanding the aluminum trim you will remove the hard anodize coating which keeps the trim bright. You can polish it and make it shinny but it will corrode and dull soon unless you have them anodized again or apply clear coat.

13 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

@Caseyrhe or @v8ford70, if you have not installed the rocker mouldings, can you take some pictures and dimensions for me so I can fabricate a set from stainless for my car when/if I source the plastic attaching clips for them?

Can do, will try to get to you by the weekend. I guess the clips aren't re popped either. I believe I'm missing a few

6 minutes ago, Caseyrhe said:

Can do, will try to get to you by the weekend. I guess the clips aren't re popped either. I believe I'm missing a few

Thanks in advance. I believe the clips are not 70 Grande specific, as far as I remember they are used in other Ford vehicles (70 Cougar is one of them I think). https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c9wb-6510182-a.html,  https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/fc-392tc.html

I remember seeing NOS clips sold but can't remember the name of the vendor. I think it was the place where  @v8ford70  bought the rear window moulding clips from.

On NPD they list Rocker Molding clips for 1967-1968 as 

CLIP, ROCKER MOLDING, REPRO

Manufacturer Reference #'s: FDM1101CC-DII, C7ZZ-6510182-A

In the 1970 Mustang Jim Osborn Body Assembly Manual it lists the 1970 clips as part number C7ZB-6510182-A .I don't know but they may be similar to the 67-68 clips.If you are able to get a 67-68 clip & check would be great to know.

1 hour ago, v8ford70 said:

On NPD they list Rocker Molding clips for 1967-1968 as 

CLIP, ROCKER MOLDING, REPRO

Manufacturer Reference #'s: FDM1101CC-DII, C7ZZ-6510182-A

In the 1970 Mustang Jim Osborn Body Assembly Manual it lists the 1970 clips as part number C7ZB-6510182-A .I don't know but they may be similar to the 67-68 clips.If you are able to get a 67-68 clip & check would be great to know.

Looking at the number (C7ZB-6510182-A) on the photo Casey sent me and number on a picture of NOS 68 molding I found on the net, 67-68 clip is the same as 70 Grande clip. Although it will not have the correct profile,  one can put vinyl tape on 67-68 molding and use it on a 70 Grande if the length of both are close. I might go that route instead of making from scratch. Thanks for all the info fellows.