Sign in to follow this  
Rcodenewf

70 convertible cowl question

Under the removable cowl where both wiper arms protrude through are there rubber or sponge insulators under it? It fastens at the front edge with roughly 7 small screws and one at each end with the rubber bumpers for the back of the hood but no attachment points close to the windshield. Does it just slide under the lower stainless moulding along the bottom of the windshield...the moulding that has 7 brackets that are clipped into the moulding and fasten to the firewall?

Thanks..John

It has been a while since last time I removed and reinstalled one, as far as I remember there are 2 blocks of spunge/rubber pads that sit between the removable cowl and the cowl under it. They are located at the right and left ends of the removable cowl. Also, I think there are small plastic clip/spacer things at the aft edge of the cowl (to eliminate rattle) where it fits snug between the windshield trim and the brackets that hold the trim.

Thanks Guys: I have an email to my supplier to see if he has them in stock. I'm thinking that once the pads are installed the cowl just slides under the stainless moulding and that keeps it in place along with the screws at the forward portion of the cowl panel..thanks...John

49 minutes ago, Rcodenewf said:

Thanks Guys: I have an email to my supplier to see if he has them in stock. I'm thinking that once the pads are installed the cowl just slides under the stainless moulding and that keeps it in place along with the screws at the forward portion of the cowl panel..thanks...John

Yes, it just slides under the moulding and the moulding clip is bent such a way that it pushes the panel tight to the stainless trim. You do not have to pay $ for those pads. They are closed cell dense foam/rubber, like the kind used to protect corners of parts during shipping. I used some from a package I got to make my own.