This past weekend we tackled the exhaust system. I had my friend who works as a welder come up and give me a hand. Gary is working on big projects like tunnels and contracts with Disney. This is the first exhaust he has done. 

foot note;  I am running the stick exhaust on the 390 currently but will upgrade to long tube headers in the future when I can afford it.

A few weeks ago I took the pipes coming off the manifold and had a shop bend the 2.5 pipe similar to what I had on the car near the transmission. I still had to massage it. So the length was about 24" long. 

When Gary arrived we started at the back of the car to line up the muffles with the original brackets. I still had to fabricate a intermediate piece to attach the mufflers to the brackets. 

3C6E5A30-969B-4D41-9339-198934724067.jpeg

We finished up around five in the afternoon.  I went with the Dyno Max Super Turbo mufflers. V band clamps and a X kit from Summit Racing and well as a complete kit from National Parts Depot.  I have the turbo mufflers from the kit that I am planning to sell. I still need to weld on the chrome tips and make some minor adjustments.  Then I can fire it up. 

76BDA5BA-4079-446C-98F8-63486A54B1FD.jpeg

1DCA7E7F-FC82-4749-A1CE-367A6205D47D.jpeg

9375E072-D186-47F3-A993-02445EE967A5.jpeg

20 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Looks good, but why do you have a factory manifold flange on pass side and a V-band clamp on driver side way back close to X-pipe?

The V-band on the drivers side pipe is done so I don't have to remove that side at the exhaust manifold.  Keep in mind that with a top loader you have to snake the exhaust around the shift linkage and the clutch linkage. the way its set up now I can remove the whole exhaust in 10 minutes.  Eventually I will move to long tube headers and install clamps at the header collectors and maybe add electric cut outs while I am at it.

11 hours ago, Caseyrhe said:

Team Work going on, looks awesome to the both of you!!

Who gets to drive it first?

Well as soon as I get it back on the road the first thing I am going to do besides a Smokey burnout is let my wife Justyna drive it!  She deserves it and nothing will give me more joy that to see her behind the wheel.