Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

Spectra 22 gallon fuel tank question.

I purchased a year or so ago a Spectra Premium 22 gallon fuel tank to use with my EFI setup that has an electric fuel pump in the tank. I have read several posts from people that have had problems with the supplied electric fuel pump & gunk in the tank. I took the tank out of the car today & cleaned off the outside of the tank & I want to clean the inside also before putting any gas in it. Does any one know how to get the sender with the electric fuel pump out of the tank? I have tried for almost 1/2 hr with no luck.

7 hours ago, Mike65 said:

I purchased a year or so ago a Spectra Premium 22 gallon fuel tank to use with my EFI setup that has an electric fuel pump in the tank. I have read several posts from people that have had problems with the supplied electric fuel pump & gunk in the tank. I took the tank out of the car today & cleaned off the outside of the tank & I want to clean the inside also before putting any gas in it. Does any one know how to get the sender with the electric fuel pump out of the tank? I have tried for almost 1/2 hr with no luck.

Don't know about Spectra but it looks like holley in tank sender an pump. On the holley intake pump/sender you have to pull the sender/pump out a little bit, remove the screws attaching the fuel gauge sender to the tube, remove the float and sender first then the pump etc.

Thanks aslanefe, I messed with it a little while longer & figured out how to remove it. Looking in the gas tank it looks like it is coated with black gunk I guess to keep it from rusting. I read on VMF that guys have cleaned it with simple green & water. As soon as it warms up a little I will clean it out & post some pics of what comes out of the tank.

Well that's a bummer to hear. I've been running that same tank for about 2 years now and so far no problems. I did notice on hot days the pump gets noisy. I'm contemplating swapping out for a Holley tank or a Tanks inc one but dont like the hoses up top. Flip side is if something goes wrong with a pump, it's a lot easier to swap out.