RobotMan

Rebuilt 351W Startup

Does anyone have a standard checklist or procedure for starting up a newly rebuilt engine. I know quite a few items but wanted to get the input of others as I have only done it once a while ago. Getting old and memory is not as good as it use to be! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Rick

44 minutes ago, RobotMan said:

Does anyone have a standard checklist or procedure for starting up a newly rebuilt engine. I know quite a few items but wanted to get the input of others as I have only done it once a while ago. Getting old and memory is not as good as it use to be! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Rick

Here's the method I use for flat tappet and roller cam engines.

1. Use Joe Gibbs 30w Break In Oil

2. Remove thermostat.

3. Retighten all hose clamps

4. Use straight water in cooling system.

5. Spin oil pump drive counter clockwise with a big drill for 30 seconds.

6. Rotate crank 1/2 turn and spin oil pump for 5 seconds.

7. Rotate crank 1/2 turn and spin oil pump for 5 seconds.

8. Rotate crank 1/2 turn and spin oil pump for 5 seconds.

9.Reinstall distributor.

10. Remove all plug wire except for number 1.

11. Remove vacuum line from distributor and leave it off and plug the vacuum fitting.

12. Connect timing lite and have someone turn the engine over, or jump it at the solenoid, and set timing to 8 degrees btdc.

13. Look inside carb and open throttle to insure the carb is squirting gas.

14. Place a fan on a stool etc in front of the radiator so it is blowing on the rad.

15. Put on some protective goggles.

16. Have someone start the car while you work the throttle. Once it starts, immediately rev it to around 2000 - 2500 rpm and set the idle screw to keep it there.

If you have a choke, you can monitor it to make sure it eventually opens or you can disconnect it and operate it by hand for a minute or 2 until the engine warms up slightly, then leave it open.

Monitor the engine rpm and keep it the same, because it will rev higher after a couple minutes, then it may rev a little higher agai after 5 or 10 minutes.

16. Let it run for 25 minutes.

13. If the carb is squirting gas, have someone start the engine, and

2 hours ago, barnett468 said:

2. Remove thermostat.

9.Reinstall distributor.

11. Remove vacuum line from distributor and leave it off and plug the vacuum fitting.

12. Connect timing lite and have someone turn the engine over, or jump it at the solenoid, and set timing to 8 degrees btdc.

14. Place a fan on a stool etc in front of the radiator so it is blowing on the rad.

16. Have someone start the car while you work the throttle. Once it starts, immediately rev it to around 2000 - 2500 rpm and set the idle screw to keep it there.

If you have a choke, you can monitor it to make sure it eventually opens or you can disconnect it and operate it by hand for a minute or 2 until the engine warms up slightly, then leave it open.

Monitor the engine rpm and keep it the same, because it will rev higher after a couple minutes, then it may rev a little higher agai after 5 or 10 minutes.

Thanks Barnett, that is really helpful and reassuring. 

I had a double failure one time- I had rebuilt the carb and when I went to start it, the float stuck, gas started pouring out all over AND the starter solenoid stuck. The engine kept cranking and gas kept pouring. Banging on the solenoid didn't help so I frantically took the battery cable off.

Soooooo.... be prepared to take the battery cable off. image.png.e9d4e335825c361a42172d46f8e2101c.png

2 hours ago, Mach1 Driver said:

I had a double failure one time- I had rebuilt the carb and when I went to start it, the float stuck, gas started pouring out all over AND the starter solenoid stuck. The engine kept cranking and gas kept pouring. Banging on the solenoid didn't help so I frantically took the battery cable off.

Soooooo.... be prepared to take the battery cable off. image.png.e9d4e335825c361a42172d46f8e2101c.png

On 3/28/2020 at 12:29 PM, barnett468 said:

2. Remove thermostat.

9.Reinstall distributor.

Wow what a day!  We started the car and broke in the engine using Barnett’s check list. Worked great. Thanks. Hearing it fire for the first time was intoxicating and resulted in high fives and hugs from my son. Can’t fabricate those memories for sure!