Sign in to follow this  
Flanders

22gal Aeromotive gas tank fit?

So I got a Aeromotive Stealth fuel tank+pump, which is actually a tank with the "Tanks Inc" stamped on it.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/1969-1970-aeromotive-340-stealth-22-gallon-fuel-tank-kit-340-lph/p/FT78/

I figured the 22gal upgrade would be nice.  That said, the filler neck on the tank doesn't line up at all with the filler tube on the back of the car.

What's the trick here? I thought this was bolt-in.  Do I need a new filler tube?

20200324_211012.jpg

I have the same tank, but supplied in a Holley Sniper box. The filler fitted my 70 fine, nowhere as misaligned as that. I used a repro filler tube and hose and no issues.

The 22 gallon tank is for a 70. The filler for a 69 & 70 are different as a result of the 22 being taller than the 20. I assume the filler location on this conversion tank is in the same location as the 70 & one would run into the same issues with it as installing a standard 22 gal tank in a 69...

...ok, then I should have looked harder when I ordered this tank (which says 1969-70 on it). I didn't see any notes on the Aeromotive site about this.  Can I drop a 70 filler neck into the back of the 69 without having to replace the chrome filler flap cap that came on my '69?

1 hour ago, Flanders said:

...ok, then I should have looked harder when I ordered this tank (which says 1969-70 on it). I didn't see any notes on the Aeromotive site about this.  Can I drop a 70 filler neck into the back of the 69 without having to replace the chrome filler flap cap that came on my '69?

Yes you need a 70 filler neck and your flip cap should fit.

13 hours ago, Flanders said:

...ok, then I should have looked harder when I ordered this tank (which says 1969-70 on it).

I didn't see any notes on the Aeromotive site about this.  Can I drop a 70 filler neck into the back of the 69 without having to replace the chrome filler flap cap that came on my '69?

No.

Unfortunately that is common with some mfg's, where they make a part that will fit one specific year or group of years, but can either also be made to fit other years, and they will include those "other" years in their description, or it won't fit "other" years and they simply assumed it would etc. In fact, a 69/70 tank will also bolt right into all the earlier Mustangs as well, ad vise versa.

The only way to find out if they knew about the difference is to email them and ask them. I seriously doubt that at this point in time, they are not aware of the difference, and that they should note it in their application info, ie "This tank will also fit a 69, but require the use of a 70 filler tube.", etc.

lol, can't seem to win here.  A '70 tank neck arrived in the mail today.  I've attached a pic of the '69 and '70 necks.  While the '70 neck is "closer", I don't think it's going to work either.  Suggestions on options?

20200418_211630.jpg

20200418_211907.jpg

Mine wasn't that out. I'll take a shot tomorrow and put it up.

Can you not bend the 70 neck a bit to fit? It's not that far out. I guess its a repro neck so may not be correct anyway, in the angle of the flange to the tube.

sm00n: I'd appreciate the pic for comparison!  I'm not sure how easy it would be to bend the flange.  Not sure I'd trust my bending skills to keep it flat, although at this point I have nothing to lose I suppose.

And yes, I've called the manufacturer.  Guess how much that helped :(

The alignment an my '69 with all stock '69 parts and a new Scott Drake '69 neck looked like your pic of the '70 neck.  

In my case I'm guessing my misalignment is due to the fact that it had been rear ended when it was fairly new and instead of replacing the T/L panel & driver's quarter they pulled it out and this misalignment was "close enough".  

You have to slip the hose on the 2 stems with the neck partially out of the taillight panel anyway, so just get it together and pull it in the last bit with the screws.   On my still original T/L panel, I used machine screws & nuts in place of the O.E. sheet metal screws to mount the neck and pull it in … at least one of the holes was partially stripped out, so this was more solid and a better solution for my situation.

Doug

Just to wrap up this thread -- I bent the flange at the top of my '70 filler neck, just a little bit, with the help of my vise and got things to line up quite nicely.  Any funky-ness in the flange (it's admittedly not 100% flat now) didn't cause any other issues.  It still bolted tightly against the gasket, and the gas cap covers it up anyway.  So, for anyone putting this tank in your '69 mustang, make sure to get a '70 filler neck.

20200427_204540.jpg