Mountaineerfan

Convertible Top HELP!!

CRAP!

Power top convertible.  I was putting the top down yesterday, and there was a weird sound, and the top had trouble dropping the rest of the way.  It finally went down.  Today I went to raise it, and the passenger side wouldn't raise.  I manually raised it, and noticed that the bracket connected to the lift cylinder had broken!  Does anyone know if I can just get a new pillar and replace it, or do I need to replace the entire frame (please don't let it be the entire frame).

I had a piece broken off of mine but it was at the top where the tension cable attaches. I used some alumiweld and welded it back together. The part you have will be much harder to weld than what I did though. I would the part off and clean it really well and try it. I think the alumiweld cost like $15-20 For a pack of 8-10 sticks. I tried it on a couple other scrap pieces first and got used to it. I’ve seen people use a temp gun to watch the temp of the metal so they know when to use the alumiweld. I didn’t do that but if you get the metal to hot it will melt a hole quick. Top frames pieces are hard to find as no one wants to take a good one apart and a full top everyone wants a premium for. Good luck. 

07E0D226-3DF8-402D-AEA6-3D7F7118F2F5.jpeg

D663B675-49B1-4671-A85B-5D8ED8491983.jpeg

Ok, you can have that tig welded by a good welder. They will grind enough material away so they will have a gap to fill that is pie shaped.

Now, here's the problem, it should not have broken in the first place, so this suggests there is another problem somewhere, ad it should be found, otherwise the same thing can happen.

Also, after that small piece is welded back on, that area will need to be reinforced, or it will crack again. There are a few different ways to do this and 2 of them are listed below.

1. Have the welder make 2 straps around 5/8" long and around 1/4" narrower than the bracket then bend these pieces to conform to the 2 areas they welded, then place them so they are 1/2 way onto the broken off piece and half way onto the larger piece and bend them so they conform to the shape of the metal then weld them.

2. Weld around a 1/4" thick aluminum "washer" to the sides of that piece after it is repaired, however, this will require the use of a longer pin, which might be hard to find.